80s valuation techniques... (56K warning) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all --

So, I've got a couple of friends seriously looking at a '94 80 on ebay -- lockers, 77K miles, no birf maintenance done yet (looks like it needs it). California car that seems ULTRA clean --

-- what do you thin of it from the following description and pictures?

Also, do you think the vibrations could be due to a mess of different tires on there? The spare and running tires don't seem to match, and I can't identify the 4-tires.

Thanks -- I'll tell you his selling price in a bit --

-- any pictures can be blown up, upon request --

eric

ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2436796788&category=6443

Description:

DS mirror vibrates, glued on the broken piece with superglue and he was going to put it together after it dried a bit. He may do the RTV fix too.

The tires are around 3 years old, 20k miles, the shocks were replaced around 4 months ago. There is a bit of "cupping" on the tread which I think is causing some noise and vibration.

The security system does not blink the lights as it is not factory, but dealer installed.

The front diff lock locked and the light went soild, the rear continued to blink, but the vehicle was not moved much. I doubt that these were ever used, so some cleaning might be needed.

All the wipers should be replaced, but the rear MUST be replaced as the blade is ripping off. I did not test the wipers due to the condition, plus I forgot after the test drive, sorry.

The rear defroster lights, but it was quite warm, so I can't say if it works or not.

The windshield has three small chips, two on the driver's side and one on the passenger side, all very small.

There looks to be a small amount of gold paint on the driver's side mirror.

DS rear marker light is out

The muffler is a flowmaster

K&N air filter

He said it is about 80% freeway miles, since he got it, which it had around 40-45k miles on it.

He said the battery is around 2 years old, although the side of the battery has a sticker which is marked "Dec 00".

The second row seats has very slight wear on the lower section front, may just be from age though.

He does the maint. himself.

The steering seems tight

Low gear engaged no problem

The alignment seems to be ok (hard to tell on some of the roads around here, but seems normal, slight drift to the right, which is typically because of the freeway).

Transmission shifts fine, seems to have normal amount of power

The "D" light is out (typical) on the dash

I did not see any rust or corrosion.

The roof rack looks fine, no sign of rust that I can see.

The paint looks good, he says it needs to be waxed. There are a couple of chips here and there, but I did not see the typical door dings. No scratches that I saw. Very clean. There are a couple of chips in the bumper paint and some small chips on the front of the hood. I saw no signs of paint overspray.

The wheels all looked good, although the center caps need work (see pictures).

I did not see any leaks under the vehicle, no rust.

The seats look very good, the third row seats look brand new. Very little wear on the seats.

AC is cold

Antenna goes up and down

Cruise works, accel and coast

Stereo works, all speakers seem to work, did not have a CD or tape to test it with.

I think that is about all, plus what I have mentioned to you.

Pictures:
LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

Just buy it and get it over with....... :flipoff2:

Really, it's a POS (what's the guy's phone number? :rolleyes: )

DS mirror vibrates, glued on the broken piece with superglue and he was going to put it together after it dried a bit. He may do the RTV fix too.

Dad broke just the Mirror bit, but the piece for the Electric actuation is broken also and Toyota don't make that bit. So the left Mirror just flops about all the time, Not vibrate though. - Very annoying to try and look over my left shoulder with Passengers in the Car. :(

He said the battery is around 2 years old, although the side of the battery has a sticker which is marked "Dec 00".
December 2000 would be the Manufacturing date + about 6 Months whilst in Transport and whilst sitting on shelf of shop = Seam fine.

If that what you call cupping, Then it is over inflated. - Damn the English Language. ;)

From that tire picture I can't tell if there is any cupping or not. I've always called cupping/scalloping the wear along the edge of the tire, usually the outside edge, that causes the lugs to form a saw tooth pattern from one lug to the next around the edge of the tire. What happens is that there is a more than usual lateral scrubbing as the tire rotates in a turn and causes the trailing edge of the lug to wear more than the leading edge giving it a tapered look.

If the center and the outside of the tire is wearing unevenly then that is an inflation issue. Wearing the outside it is under inflated, wearing the inside it is over inflated.

Well , it looks like a really clean 80 , so I won't mention that I hate white 80's ................................ :-X

relyT

Eric,
The front drive shaft has marks that appear to be phasing marks. Could be that it has been repaired or replaced. That's not a bad thing... just an observation. I don't recall seeing those marks on any stock 80 but that doesn't mean a lot... haven't seen the underside of many in *that* much detail.

Looks like a nice truck to me. And everyone knows I love white trucks. :D
-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=6312;start=msg51198#msg51198 date=1066240019]
Eric,
The front drive shaft has marks that appear to be phasing marks. Could be that it has been repaired or replaced. That's not a bad thing... just an observation. I don't recall seeing those marks on any stock 80 but that doesn't mean a lot... haven't seen the underside of many in *that* much detail.

Looks like a nice truck to me. And everyone knows I love white trucks. :D
-B-

[/quote]

Thanks for this, B -- I noticed the hash-mark, too (the yellow one?) -- I'll call the owner and ask him about that --

-- also, I'm gonna see how he mounted those rear tail-lamp brush-guards -- if he went through sheet metal for that bling, it's a dead deal... :-[

e

[quote author=erics_bruiser link=board=2;threadid=6312;start=msg51203#msg51203 date=1066240318]
Thanks for this, B -- I noticed the hash-mark, too (the yellow one?) -- I'll call the owner and ask him about that --

-- also, I'm gonna see how he mounted those rear tail-lamp brush-guards -- if he went through sheet metal for that bling, it's a dead deal... :-[

e
[/quote]

I just called him -- no driveshaft maint. that he knows of, no leaks, and the rear brushies come off with no damage...

:D

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=6312;start=msg51213#msg51213 date=1066241725]
Eric,

I know your current one is green; but I'd post another here for your comparison:
(ARB winch-ready bullbar newly installed)

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/17564881.html

Frank.
[/quote]

thanks for this, Frank -- $17K -- !!

e

That seems like a lot of oil underneath for 77k (ours has 140K and is cleaner under neath and never been cleaned), Also, has the transmission been serviced? I don't recall seeing the permatex poking out on ours (but will check). Why was the muffler replaced? I am probably being the devils advocate....just ask more questions to protect yourself. If your serious, make sure to run a carfax.

[quote author=informationjunky link=board=2;threadid=6312;start=msg51218#msg51218 date=1066242247]
That seems like a lot of oil underneath for 77k (ours has 140K and is cleaner under neath and never been cleaned), Also, has the transmission been serviced? I don't recall seeing the permatex poking out on ours (but will check). Why was the muffler replaced? I am probably being the devils advocate....just ask more questions to protect yourself. If your serious, make sure to run a carfax.
[/quote]

Thanks for this -- devils advocates are APPRECIATED!!

What is the Permatex you see on the trans?? He said it was recently serviced (flushed with a filter cleaning) and the muffler is a flow-master, for performance I imagine --

-- we ran a carfax and the like -- came out okay --

-- maybe the bottom line is it's too FAR away to really figure out!!

e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom