80's and rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My search for a suitable Cruiser here in Arizona has been pretty pathetic. Very limited selection, laughable prices.

I have a trip planned to San Diego next month so I have been looking at the 80's in the auto trader of that area. Much better!!!!

My concern is rust. We dont have it here in Az. How do the 80's hold up in areas close to oceans? Any thoughts?

Also, what are typical problem areas (potential rust spots) to look for... if they exist?

Regards,
Larry

Larry, really no problems with west coast ocean rust like you would see from an east coast cruiser. I've had mine here in Laguna Niguel 3.5 miles from the coast for 9 years and outside the very standard little bit of rust hiding under the roof rack mounts, which everyone will have, I'm spotless. Remember we have almost as low a humidity level as you in AZ most of the time.

Good luck with your search.

Larry,

Ditto here on what Brent said. But then again I live inland, and work within a mile of the coast.

There is a rust survey post in the SOR forum archive with numerous responses. The only notable potential problem area is the rear tailgate. Remember, plenty of trucks in California originate from somewhere else.

Larry,
PM me for a phone number if you are interested in a '97 40th with diff locks. It was in the Sunday local Albuquerque paper at $19,000 OBO and the listing said it had 87k miles (I think the above info is correct.) If it is the one I've seen with a For Sale sign in the window then it is completely stock and probably never out of the mall parking lots.

I will be glad to have it checked out for you if you are interested. Act quick 'cause I'm outta town after Friday. No affilliation.

-B-

B...

Thanks. I'm hesitant of the climate control found on those 97 special editions... thanks to the wisdom of Junk.

You have a PM.

Ok - I'll bite - what does a speed blaster shoot? ???

Sand, no?

Last week I noticed some small rust under the lift gate window all along the part where the lock is. Eating it's way out! Failed gasket I'm sure. Other than that nothing anywhere else and I'm in New England. The truck has had a sheltered life though.

Its a sand blaster. They had one at work and I said I wanted one. $42 later and I had one. The guys at work says it works great!
I have some rust on the inside fender motor side behind the battery where the fender mounts are.
I also have some rust at the drains for the sunroof at the rocker panel.
kurt

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=3975;start=0#msg29413 date=1059524771]
Last week I noticed some small rust under the lift gate window all along the part where the lock is. Eating it's way out! Failed gasket I'm sure. Other than that nothing anywhere else and I'm in New England. The truck has had a sheltered life though.
[/quote]

Welcome to the club - small grows fast very fast. Me dealer has quoted me ~C$1,200 to fix. I'm still looking at replacing the complete hatch and I'm alo working with Lexus on this for a possible warranty repair.

Cheers, Hugh

It is a self contained sand blaster. You put the sand in the orange part of gun and hook it up the your air compressor. I am sure it would be a pain for big jobs as you would be stopping and filling it often but I have a mid size comaressor and it need time to fill up and cool. It will be great for small jobs.
kurt

hey cdncruiser doesnt toyota have a 10 year warranty on corrosion? or is that just the german cars ?

[quote author=instigator link=board=2;threadid=3975;start=0#msg29472 date=1059545236]
hey cdncruiser doesnt toyota have a 10 year warranty on corrosion? or is that just the german cars ?
[/quote]

The Lexus warranty is for 7 years (hence why I'm still dealing with Lexus - I mentioned that it should have been identified and taken care of earlier - ie when I was bring the truck in for service) and that the damage is obviously more than a few months old. I'm not sure what the Toyota warranty is.

One interesting point is that they claim it is a 'perforation' warranty - ie the fact that is has rust isn't important, it has to have eaten a hole into the sheet metal ::)

Cheers, Hugh

Larry:

No rust on mine that I can see on cursory inspection, with the exception of one small spot on the top DS corner of the tailgate. I'm on the Mississippi Gulf coast, live 1/2 block off the beach, and vehicle has always been here.
Lots of salt air, and humidity under 80% is almost unheard of.

FYI.

Larry -

>> My search for a suitable Cruiser here in Arizona has been pretty pathetic. Very limited selection, laughable prices.

You will find a better selection in So Calif, but it's in Calif where the prices of Cruisers are laughable.

>> My concern is rust.

We have two '97 40ths in our extended corral... both are/were Calif only trucks, and neither had/have any rust whatsoever (no roof racks :) )

Also, the climate control works fine in both of these trucks. Even if you found one where it didn't, but it had lockers, low miles, etc., etc., and the price was right, I would not pass it up...

Cheers,

R -

I think the agreement on the 80 list about rust is that it has little to do with rain and coastal salt air.

The rust problem seems to be much more substantial in places that have bad winter weather and the associated salt / other control substances that really kill the truck (like in Toronto - oh yeah BTW TORONTO ROCKS! - sorry little plug for TO after i finished watching the Stones concert w 450,000 people)

Cheers, Hugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom