80 was stalling out without a CEL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This was the first time my 80 has scared the poop out of me on a trip. Usually she has been really good to me and doesn't act up until i get home.... luckily she did pull through and got me home. So now i'm trying to figure out what the deal is.

The story is that i was camped on the outer banks over the weekend enjoying the holiday. We packed up and started back towards the ferry to get back to the mainland. There is a long water crossing to visit Portsmouth Island village that i've crossed many times. The water is not deep, comes up to the middle of the tires. I took the crossing very slow, VERY. I made sure not to allow water to splash over the front grill into the motor. So yes, there was water involved.

After getting back to the beach we were cruising along and all of a sudden the truck just started sputtering and trying to stall as if it wasn't getting gas. It cut off. I restarted the truck and it fired right up. I started driving and it would drive about 10 feet and then lose all power and start to stall. i popped the hood to inspect if water got into any electronics, distributor or spark plugs.. dry. No water could be seen on any of the motor. I checked wires and plugs, all dry. I started it up and it would idol fine, i could rev the motor fine, put it in gear, drive about ten feet and it would just lose power, sputter and then cut off. This happened over and over, maybe 8 to 10 times. Finally, a little frustrated, i started the truck, let it idol, then revved it up to near redline and slowly allowed the revs to come back to normal. Put it in gear and it never had an issue the rest of the trip home.

Could it of been water related? Maybe, but what in the world was wet?

My guess is perhaps a fuel pump going out? It is original so i'm thinking a new fuel pump would be a good thing to swap out. While i'm at it i will probably replace the relay too.

Anything else you guys could think could be the culprit?

Not much to go on here, so all I can offer up is one wild a** guess. There's a gray junction connector located between the DS rear door and rear wheel well, tucked into the rocker panel. It's labeled BO1 on the EWD. It's a 6-pin connector and carries the power and ground for the fuel pump. If water was up to your wheel hubs, then it's likely this connector got wet. It would at least be worth pulling it apart and looking at the contacts to make sure they look good. @semlin had a problem with BO1 a couple years ago, discussed here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/code-26-and-stalls.694902/page-2#post-8764673. But don't get too excited. As I said it's only a WAG.

Start carrying a can of starting fluid so if it craps out again a quick squirt will tell you if its fuel or ignition related.
Where would I spray this? Remove intake hose and spray in throttle body?

I would guess you swamped the o2 sensor.
hmmm really? Never would of thought of that. My rear sensor is not functioning since i bypassed it with a simulator. But the front one is working.

Just curious, don't you think that would have thrown a CEL?

Not having a CEL made me think fuel pump.

I'm not saying it was just a guess from your post. The reason I was thinking this is because you said it fires up fine and idles great until I start to go. Starting is open loop, maybe it was leaning it out as much as it could. Sounds like you kept on shutting it off and didn't give you a code of out of range or to rich- if the o2 wasn't venting to atmosphere the ecu may have just been leaning it out...but I don't know ...just a thought
a lot off others here have the experience on the water crossings

Not much to go on here, so all I can offer up is one wild a** guess. There's a gray junction connector located between the DS rear door and rear wheel well, tucked into the rocker panel. It's labeled BO1 on the EWD. It's a 6-pin connector and carries the power and ground for the fuel pump. If water was up to your wheel hubs, then it's likely this connector got wet. It would at least be worth pulling it apart and looking at the contacts to make sure they look good. @semlin had a problem with BO1 a couple years ago, discussed here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/code-26-and-stalls.694902/page-2#post-8764673. But don't get too excited. As I said it's only a WAG.

bo1 seems like a good guess. that plug is the only point where a fuel delivery related electrical connector is down low and exposed to the elements and on both my 80s you could see exposed individual wires from the harness at the connector so it is vulnerable. between the fuel pump and that connector is also the only spot where there is wiring outside the cab/engine bay relevant to fuel supply. iirc all the other fuel delivery related wiring is inside the truck in the ds sill leading to the ds kick panel and ecm and up high in the engine bay.

another possibility would be water getting up on top of the fuel tank where the fuel pump connections are

water at the coil connections or dizzy would be another guess.

the final option would be some kind of water ingestion into the fuel. not sure how.

The symptoms sound a lot like TPS and that is one of the few connectors that isn't sealed. But, doesn't sound like you got enough moisture up there to cause a problem? Have seen some TPS problems set a code, others not.

If it's doing it cold, it's likely to be an O2 sensor? When in open loop, they should be ignored.

he might have sucked water into the air intake. maybe check inside the airbox.

That water crossing shouldn't have gotten to the airbox, ESP if taking it slow.

But the TPS is a good call. May want to inspect plug and unwrap that bundle and just inspect the extensions made for the supercharger. Mine would pass the pinch pull twist test at times and I found one wire to be lose at the crimp

What was the ambient heat like that day? You know my battle with a similar scenario only when hot out. Just curious what the temps were down there that day.

Rick, Jason and i were just discussing that. I did wiggle the wiring harness from the TPS, back to the main bundle, and then back around the EGR just in case and nothing changed. I do have a feeling that i should inspect that closer though.

I also unplugged the IAC and the TPS plugs and both were dry as a bone.

I'm currently having the exact same problem but it's sputtering so bad I can got anywhere. I've replaced the coil pack, cleaned the dizzy cap, replaced the fuel filter, and cleaned the Bo1. I'm thinking the o2 sensor is the problem but how do I fix it? Mine started acting up after I splashed through some 1-2ft deep water.

Sorry. It's a 96 so it's got the 1fzfe. As far as the intake hose and filter they were as dry as a bone. I held the throttle at 3k rpm's and its cleared up mostly all by itself but it still messes up a little between 1200 and 1600 rpm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom