80 vs 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think the 80 is really an overlanding rig. It's not great on the highway, it's slow and gets terrible mpg. I agree, with guys recommending the GX470, my friend has one and it's great. He doesn't really off road much though.

I live in an offroad/rock crawling area, and that's where the 80 really shines. Note, that I came from an overland rig: long bed 4 door 2011 Tacoma. It was comfortable, powerful, and decently capable. It was capable for camping and trails, I just didn't enjoy it as much as the 80. It barely fit 33's and wasn't comfortable on the rougher trails around here.

The 80 is amazing though, the things it just crawls over, and just walks up. I love the suspension and front and rear suspension travel is amazing. On rough trails it is much more comfortable than any IFS vehicle.

My wife was initially mad at me when I sold the Tacoma and bought the 80, but after seeing how capable it was, she started driving it. She took it over Black Bear pass while I spotted and she often drives it up the trail. She took it up this crazy obstacle on Top of the World in Moab when I needed to get out and spot when we went the wrong way. Overall, the 80 has changed us and changed what driving each of us do, just because it's fun and easy.

I have a 4 yo and a 2 yo in the back in car seats, they love it as well. I throw in the jump seats when family visits and we all go touring together.

Last edited:
I don't think the 80 is really an overlanding rig. It's not great on the highway, it's slow and gets terrible mpg. I agree, with guys recommending the GX470, my friend has one and it's great. He doesn't really off road much though.

the 80 is not a "great" overlanding rig if one is tuned to modern driving standards especially here in NA. On fuel milage, power, comfort, etcetera., no arguments far better platforms are available now. But imo, it still is a great overlanding rig based on its own virtues. Plus it's modern enough that one can overland on it and not being seen as a masochist (geting close but not quite) compared to one overlanding on a 60s or an old Defender.

i try not to drive new cars/trucks, keeps my expectations to the bare minimum.

Last edited:
I’m guessing America never got the 105 series? It’s a shame as basically the 105 is just a better 80 series in almost every single way (in fact there is only 2 reasons you would buy an 80 series here in Aus, the 80 is 25+ years old meaning you can get super cheap registration or you want a turbo diesel. For some stupid reason Toyota never offered the 105 with the 1HD-FT or FTE). Other than that the 105 is basically just an advanced version of the 80 series.

I’m guessing America never got the 105 series? It’s a shame as basically the 105 is just a better 80 series in almost every single way (in fact there is only 2 reasons you would buy an 80 series here in Aus, the 80 is 25+ years old meaning you can get super cheap registration or you want a turbo diesel. For some stupid reason Toyota never offered the 105 with the 1HD-FT or FTE). Other than that the 105 is basically just an advanced version of the 80 series.
Yeah no 105 in the US, unfortunately.

i thought 105 rolls on same chassis/engine as the 80, meaning it would drive like an 80? we don't have it here so i really am curious

i thought 105 rolls on same chassis/engine as the 80, meaning it would drive like an 80? we don't have it here so i really am curious
I have no idea, but I just thought it was a hundred series with a solid front axle basically.

I'm thinking it would drive just like an 80 series, but with the looks of a 100 series, probably a bit more refined ride but nothing else. Just newer tech and Nav on the interior.

Yeah the 105 is basically an 80 series, but comes with heavier duty axles (higher GVM rating), the newer body style which had a lot of improvements, the 1FZFE engine had a number of improvements increasing power and efficiency (things like coil packs vs dizzy).

I mean it’s obviously a personal choice thing (I have 4 80 series cruisers and no 105s) but the 105 is a better choice in most regards. Ideally you’d buy a 1HZ 105 and convert it to a 1HD-FTE for the ultimate cruiser.

Open question -

-Is the 100 transmission sealed / no dipstick? ——— (200’s / Tundras / G2 Seq‘s are that way)

If so, that’s a lame system & even my ~72K trans fluid was already turning color - crap is supposed to be lifetime fluid.

If the 100’s are sealed, keep in mind the miles on the powertrain - that trans fluid is there from the Japan assembly line.

The 100 transmission is not sealed and has a dipstick. I like to inspect and/or change every 30k miles.

I heard somewhere the 2UZ internals are forged when motor is built in Japan.. not sure if that's true but sounds super cool to me!

My LX has 249k miles, I bought at 223k miles and have only done basic stuff like TB/WP/Fan Bracket/Fluid Changes etc.! Taking her for a 900 mile spin next week so we'll see if we can make the wheels fall off!

The 100 transmission is not sealed and has a dipstick. I like to inspect and/or change every 30k miles.

I heard somewhere the 2UZ internals are forged when motor is built in Japan.. not sure if that's true but sounds super cool to me!

My LX has 249k miles, I bought at 223k miles and have only done basic stuff like TB/WP/Fan Bracket/Fluid Changes etc.! Taking her for a 900 mile spin next week so we'll see if we can make the wheels fall off!
The later years are... 06-07 for sure. Possibly earlier.

I should have been more specific.. my ‘99 LX transmission is not sealed and has a dipstick.
Sealed means don’t ever change the fluid?
My 2011 Tacoma transmission was sealed and I changed it many times. Fluid doesn't last forever, just through your warranty period. Fluid breaks down with heat eventually. Change it if you want to keep the transmission.

I have not read the whole thread but a 105? Modern body 80 chassis?

Regards

Dave
You need to watch more Youtube:

It's a 100 series Landcruiser with a Solid Front Axle. I came with the 1FZ-FE which makes more power and the 1HZ diesel. The solid front axles, rear axles and steering is heavier duty than the 80 series. I believe it was sold in Australia and South Africa.

You need to watch more Youtube:

It's a 100 series Landcruiser with a Solid Front Axle. I came with the 1FZ-FE which makes more power and the 1HZ diesel. The solid front axles, rear axles and steering is heavier duty than the 80 series. I believe it was sold in Australia and South Africa.

Hoping we start seeing some imports of those here soon. 2 more years and they’re available. One of the coolest cruisers made IMO.

Just a shame they never came with a factory turbo, although they are pretty easy to convert to 1HDFT or 1HDFTE.
Agree, but I do like the idea of the 1HZ. Bullet proof as balls and such a long run, parts availability has gotta be pretty easy as far as imported landcruisers go.

Behold the 105

5036310E-12FD-4F36-86C8-29A15A1DE814.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom