80 Series, very poor handling (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Let me begin by saying I have searched all threads for alignment related issues (and while i loved every minute of learning a lot about these trucks - what I refer to as important research when my wife asks me what the heck I'm doing) I could find nothing that made clear the reason for the way my cruiser handles.

Purchased this rig two months ago with 160k mi and a decent amount of maint records. The truck feels very "wallowy"? At highway speeds, it doesnt so much dart side to side as it does like a boat would when you are passing through waves near parellel, but not quite. It handles like it would if you were constantly rocking the steering wheel, constantly correcting and the front end rocking like the shocks are shot. My wife drove it and said it's hard to drive in a straight line. In the wind, it's a hazard.

Tires are near new so they dont show any unusual wear.
Replaced the worn oem shocks last week w/ Bilstein HD's
TRE's 'appear' to be fine (how would I know?)
Slight movement of the steering wheel does move the wheels

Thank you, in-advance for insight into what causes this! Also, if you can recommend a reputable alignment shop in Denver, I'd appreciate that too!

Thank you, in-advance for any insights into this.

What Bilstein valving did you go with?

Have you replaced springs yet?

With your description I'd suspect shocks are valved too lightly to the application, and/or your springs are shot. If those are original OEM springs, try replacing them with new springs and see how it handles. I've had similar symptoms, in my truck with the OME shocks (which are too lightly valved IMHO), and in the :princess: truck with worn out OEM springs and shocks that were way beat. Replacing the shocks in both cases greatly improved handling, I still get a tiny bit of wallowing in the :princess: truck, so springs are on the list of things to replace.

FWIW my stock height 1996 FZJ-80 with 304,000 miles on the clock has the original springs and well used Bilsteins and I have no wallowing or trouble with tracking down a level road, three finger driving and very stable. I'm not the suspension expert but maybe recheck the steering components, rod ends, steering stabilizer, control arm bushings, sway bars and their bushings,---. I recall my steering got a bit more precise after I replaced the broken trunnion bearings, but even then I had nothing like the symptoms the OP describes.

Probably want to look into a front end rebuild. If your trunion bearings are due to be replaced or serviced, then you can have front end issues.

Rovers have a similiar setup to the LC's. My Rover had severe death wobble and after I replaced the trunion bearings (different, but still same concept) it completely went away.

If the bearings and prelaod arent right, you can have all sorts of sloppy play in the front end.

I remember a few years back with my defender, I had to constantly correct the steering left and right to keep the car going in a straight line. Turned out that the steering box was gone and once changed the handling returned to normal.

My Wanderlodge behaved like that when the bolt holding the panhard rod broke.

Hi there!

My 210k Croozer.. with stock springs handles well. One or two fingers are all thats needed to keep it straight.

I would advise getting the truck in the air, at least the front end and give the wheels a good shaking. Place your hands at the 9 and 3'o clock position. You should feel no movement.

If you have a local auto shop near by.. ask for an alignment check.. shops do those so they can tell you the alignment is fubar and they can sell you one. If there is something loose.. the shop should be able to tell you about it. They cant align the truck with worn parts.

If the alignment is close to spec, and there are no loose parts, than it looks like you have a heck of a good excuse to get some nice new springs.. as mentioned before, make sure the shocks you use match the vehicle and intended application.

Good luck!

Bad springs won't affect straight line tracking. I'd put that down to steering ball joints, suspension bushes, and alignment. In that order. Being it's an old car may as well do the lot.

Bad springs won't affect straight line tracking. I'd put that down to steering ball joints, suspension bushes, and alignment. In that order. Being it's an old car may as well do the lot.

Do some research on LX450's. Even new off the dealer lot, people complained about them wallowing on the road at freeway speeds.

You're right that it won't effect straight line tracking, but that boat/rocking/wallowing feeling can be (and often is) springs or shocks.

Combine that with very sensitive steering (barely touch the wheel and you'll change lanes), and it feels like you're not tracking in a straight line (you want to adjust the wheel every time the vehicle rocks side to side). Everyone who's driven the :princess: 80 before I changed shocks commented on this.

you want to adjust the wheel every time the vehicle rocks side to side.

Then that is driver error, not a vehicle fault. I could work in a Lexus dealership with tact like that ;)

Speaking of Lexus, who mentioned Lexus? Not the OP, he said it's an 80 series.

The landcruiser is meant to roll a bit on corners. Any proper off roader does. If it doesn't, then it is a restriction in the up travel of the suspension which means it would not go over big nasty off road bumps properly at speed. On the highway you will get a bit of side to side movement, that is just the nature of the solid axle design. What affects one wheel affects the other more directly.

If we take driver error out of the equation and we accept the fact that a bit of body roll is normal and not detrimental to straight line tracking, then we are left with the assumption that the tracking problem is related to worn components in the suspension and steering linkages.

Thanks for your input thus far!
To clarify, the shocks are brand new as of a week ago, HD Bilsteins. Changing the shocks did nothing to remedy and because the truck rides evenly, i'm ruling out the suspension (though I will replace those saggy suspenders this month!)

Could this be as simple as toe-in adjust? From what i have read, steering boxes can last a few thousand miles, but i will have that checked.

Thanks again, i will post once the culprit has been found.

I have 175k and original springs and a boat-like feeling especially on the highway with probably the original shocks. ( I also have a front wheel with a loose bearing that, right now, cannot tighten the locknut).

Replaces with OEM Toyota shocks and the truck is transformed and feels brand new. A lot of confidence and lack of body roll. I'm replacing swaybar bushings tomm and expect a tighter ride.

Good luck

Go ahead and get a lifetime alignment from (used to be $140) Firestone Mastercare (nationwide chain) before you do anything. An alignment printout is needed and post it up here. We need an objective starting point. Once you get this alignment done then we can see where you need to start on this saga. After making adjustments, you can go back for your free alignment forever! I don't know what the cost of an alignment is these days but after the second one, this lifetime alignment will pay for itself.

There are couple of possibilities:

- worn bushings (probably time to replace if never replaced)
- improper toe/caster adjustment
- knuckles out of adj
- tie rod ends worn
- wheel bearings

Last edited:
Also, if you can recommend a reputable alignment shop in Denver, I'd appreciate that too!

If your at the point where your ready to have someone tell you wants wrong, take it to Slee Offroad. He is in Golden.

Otherwise it could be many things. An alignment as a baseline would be good. Could be as simple as something out of spec. How are all the suspension bushings on the front end? Bearings have been mentioned already.

^^^This ^^^

Lifetime alignments from firestone just went up to 199.99 in Oregon. They may have gone up in Colorado as well.
If you are lucky, your local Firestone will be running a 159.99 special.

If you can swing a discount or coupon... the lifetime alignment is a great deal.

I had the same issue. since my 80 is an ex-JDM unit (converted from right to left) the steering column remained RHD. though the steering gearbox was replaced with an original LHD, I still had this feeling of non-responsiveness from the steering wheel.

so what we did is trial and error, and found out that it was the column that's worn out.
you may also wanna try adjusting the bolt on top of the s.gearbox. if too tight just adjust it a bit loose.

HTH

It's swaying back and forth and no one is going to say take a look at the swaybars?

Check the wheel bearings. Mine developed a slight wander - we tracked it down to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom