80 series restoration 2022..and so it begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well lads, I finally pulled my 1993 hdj80 into the garage to start the long and over due restoration.

My hopes are to have it ready for the summer, which might be a little optimistic, as i work part time in another garage, (try to) run my own garage, am currently studying for a degree and am also a retained firefighter 👩‍🚒. But hey, who doesn’t love a challenge!

I hope to document most of it on here and will be asking for lots of advise. So it’s time to stick on george straits greatest hits and get started.

05263D10-3266-4B97-B916-48FB8505D704.jpeg

00387AB2-CA54-4796-8CB9-3FF69BFA5BB7.jpeg

Start with a new windshield wiper.

What's with all the cans of WD40 in the back ground??? Or are you planing on having to deal with lots of rusty nuts and bolts in you're upcoming restoration?

At least the paint's nothing to worry about. lol

At least the paint's in good nick. lol
I don't know what it was with the paint and clear coat used in the 90's, and it wasn't only Toyota's paint. Many car makers from that time period had major problems with their paint and clear coat turning to crap.

I don't know what it was with the paint and clear coat used in the 90's, and it wasn't only Toyota's paint. Many car makers from that time period had major problems with their paint and clear coat turning to crap.
Yeah, it had to do with the economy of single stage something or other, iirc.
lol I tried to do something with the 'crust' on my hood, thinking at worst may need a clay bar treatment.
Nah. Needs a grinder treatment, so I gave up.
And the areas where the crust is no more is the actual paint, so very easy to remove that to primer if not careful.
Gave up there too. lol

The clear coat is destroyed by the harmful UV from all the strong sunlight in Co. Tipp :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom