80 series rear hubs on a79 (v8 model in oz) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day all just wanting to know if anyone can tell me if they have put the six stud 80 rear disk hubs on what we here in oz have as the v8 crusiers im building a nine inch diff with passthrough pinion for my six by six 75 series and can get my hands on some heavy duty after market v8 rear spindles but no good if i can only run five stud on them any info would be good thanks

I think the spindles will be the same. Both use the same wheel bearings. So you should be able to run 80 hubs.
Did you ask the seller? If they are aftermarket, are the using the same bearings?

The hubs and axles are different between 80 and 79 series in a lot of ways.
79 uses 32spline axles vs 30spline in the 80.
79 axle is thicker, and has a larger diameter flange at the hub.
79 series hub has a larger diameter PCD for hub studs, and is drilled for 10mm studs and 8mm dowels.
Wheel centre hole/ hub centre diameter is different

I have had 79 hubs on an 80.
The key is the spindle but don't really worry because it's normally a part number change.
You can even use 79 series C.V's with 80's drive flanges if you slightly grind the outer shaft above the snap ring. Pretty certain an Aussie could make this fit with a hammer.
In an emergency the 79 drive flange will fit an 80's hub as well. This can get you home.
Just do it and report back.

In an emergency the 79 drive flange will fit an 80's hub as well. This can get you home.
Just do it and report back.

The PCD of hub studs is quite a bit different.

You "might" force one on. The hole position is a couple of mm different. One thing that would help is the 79 flanges are drilled for 10mm hardware not 8mm.
Going the other way, 80 flange onto 79 hub isn't happening without slotting holes

Having re-read the post I can say the spindles are interchangeable between our 75, 79 and 80 series as well as others.
If the spindles fit the bearings fit, and as such any hub will fit.
Years ago our 75's where upgraded to 79 series hubs just to streamline parts, especially tires and rims.

Thanks Marvelicious I'll be sure to look you up when I want to become a receptionist. As for the rest of you good folk I thank you for the information you have provided me with, I'm building a 9" diff center with a pinion continuing on through the housing and exiting the rear of the housing to drive my second diff it will have cruiser ends on the housing, and I have to make axles suit so drive flange will be made to suit whatever hub I end up using. was thinking 80 as they have disc brakes, six studs and are plentiful over here so thanks once fellas once again.

Maveliciouse. When I'm going for a job as a secretary and need help with punctuation your my man I'll be sure to hit you up, and thanks for your abundant help on the topic in question. As for the rest of you fellas I do appreciate all the info you all have put forth. Thank you very much. So I'm building a nine-inch center with a pinion continuing on though the rear of the housing to drive a second diff, A.R.B. will be building a locker for it (and 2 others for the other diffs) so they will put the appropriate spider gears to match the spline, I will have to get the axles made to suit what hubs end up being used, the question about 80 series hubs came about because they are plentiful here and run disc brakes as at the moment mine is drum, hope this is a bit clearer of an explanation. I'm open to any suggestions or info on how some have done this with their own builds. THANKS again fallas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom