80 series gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
Threads
Kurt Williams at Cruiser Outfitters has the 80 series gears on sale this month. They are "Sierra Gear" ring and pinions at an excellent price (see vendors section below). I was going to regear anyway at some point and this might push me in that direction. I have used Precision Gears in my 40 with excellent results, but I am leary about lower quality gears in my 80 since it gets a fair number of miles. So does anyonee avpeexenri wceh itisthie Sa rranbrand whd Iatou c eldecxpint er t omsduf biratylind aea gnor e?isI stmudm a Iit03&#m 9;anleg inwato trd Phecireonsiea G srsceinhe tary a e owknqun tian ttymeo T. otoy4.a ͹03wos d ul nbee,icut bhe tary pre tyetri py.ce66

Looks to me like the gears for the 80 are Yukons. These are gotten through Randy's Ring and pinion. I have these installed on my truck. 4.88s, and have no problems with them. I thought they were a little noisey but it seems to have been a poorly maintained spindle bushing all along. Christo has installed these but also mentioned he thought the quality of the gears had slipped a little and was waiting for them to correct this. This was a while ago maybe 5~6 months so I don't know if it was taken care of. I don't rock crawl but have done a lot of towing and they have been in for about 30k miles.

I'd buy them again.

Andrew, I have the precision gear 4.88s in my 80. They are very quiet and seem to work well. I have about 6000 miles on them so far. I got them and the install kit from Chisto and had my local mech do the install. So far so good.
Sean

Go with Precision gears, I have them in my "other" off roader. No problems and i have beat them.. I have heard of another problem in our club that a member had an issue with a "Yukon" (Randy's) axle breaking and looked like a material problem. Although my other half has "older" Yukon gears (2000?) in her truck w/ no problems. If i remember they looked like genuine gears back then, I can't remember why now...lol

[quote author=Cruiserdrew link=board=2;threadid=9349;start=msg81504#msg81504 date=1072714670]
Kurt Williams at Cruiser Outfitters has the 80 series gears on sale this month. They are "Sierra Gear" ring and pinions at an excellent price (see vendors section below)....[/quote]

Cruiserdrew,

The 4.88 Rev cut 80 series gears are a Yukon gear, Yukon is the house brand for Randy's Ring and Pinion. To this date I am yet to have a problem with Yukons or Sierra gears, Precisions and US Gear are also great gears that we sell often, however with the name brand, you pay more... :D There are hundreds of PBB'ers and I'm sure tons of IH8mud'ers that run Yukons in comp buggy's to DD's. We recently sold a set to NW-Sickboy, last I heard he was happy with them... :)

Thanks!

so far so good. and anyone that knows the kind of gears that randy's puts out knows they are would only use quality steez. no affiliation but if you do look into it those reverse cut HP can be spendy. no affiliation just good prices and service.

We did send some back to Randy's that confirmed that the quality was not up to their standards. The machining on the teeth was really rough. Maybe ok for a lot of trucks and buggy's but in the 80 you run the risk of setting it up and ending with a noisy diff and a noisy customer. The quality was compared with other Yukon gears. Not accross brands.

The thing that you get with house brands is that they can change supplier and you still buy the Yukon gear but it comes from a different place. We now use Precision. We will go back to Randy's when they can assure us the quality is good.

FWIW, in terms of strength, I broke a Toyota oem set in the front of the SchoolBus.

The front yukon gears are certainly top notch. There had been some inconsistancy (some noisy, some quiet) in the rear 4.88's so they were pulled from the Yukon line. They are still available as a "Value Gear" for cases that noise is not a concern (fj40), as the strength and longevity will still be equal. There are new yukon gears in the works that will be superior to any previous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom