80 Series Front End Rebuild - Sticker Shock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy quality aftermarket parts and do the job yourself. You will save thousands of dollars. Those prices just make me shake my head.

Last edited:
Shops expect to make money on the parts too, which is why they are quoting you the retail price. Bringing in your own parts is usually a deal breaker and if not, they just quote you a higher price for labor.

What part of the PNW are you in? Any desire to do any of the wrenching yourself? A local club may have folks willing to help with a front axle overhaul. And inspecting old parts. If it’s not you daily driver and you have a space to work on it that makes things easier and cheaper.

What part of the PNW are you in? Any desire to do any of the wrenching yourself? A local club may have folks willing to help with a front axle overhaul. And inspecting old parts. If it’s not you daily driver and you have a space to work on it that makes things easier and cheaper.

Near Portland Oregon. Great suggestion. I would like to do the work myself, with some assistance if I get into trouble, the next time it needs to be serviced. Unfortunately, the LC is already at the shop with the front end torn apart.

I think at this point you need to talk to them about bringing in your own parts or ask them to call Cruiser Outfitters to get the higher quality aftermarket parts, assuming your shop can't source them. But if they are a LC shop they should probably be able to source that stuff themselves. Just ask.

I think at this point you need to talk to them about bringing in your own parts or ask them to call Cruiser Outfitters to get the higher quality aftermarket parts, assuming your shop can't source them. But if they are a LC shop they should probably be able to source that stuff themselves. Just ask.

Agree. I have already contacted the shop to let them know OEMs aren't an option. It is an LC shop. Based on the very helpful advice I have received on ih8mud, I will be talking to them tomorrow morning about sourcing the parts from Cruiser Outfitters (either I get them or they get them - I am fine either way). I can't begin to thank everyone on ih8mud for their great advice. I have learned a lot in the last 24 hours and appreciate everyone's input!

Good deal. Definitely assume they're going to mark up the website prices which is totally justified, time value of money, admin cost, etc. You're paying for the service of someone else knowing the exact parts you need so comparing what you'll pay a shop to source parts versus what you might be able to find from one of the previously mentioned online vendors is folly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom