80 series compact touring build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I thought I'd finally start a build thread of sorts to document some of the updates I've made to my 80 series. Originally (at least within my possession) it started out as a bone stock car with a recently done head gasket. According to the previous owner at least.
This is what it looked like the day I got it home.
Screenshot_20210104-210146_Snapchat.jpg

Fast forward a few years and after many hours of grazed knuckles and curse words along with some amazing trips where the reliability hasn't wavered we are here:
20210530_153010.jpg

I tend to have a habit of changing things when I finally get it to start working but oh well. Now that I have a good idea of where I'd like to go with the cruiser I'm confident enough to actually share a little bit about where I'm hoping to go with it from here.
Basically I'm planning on using it as my dedicated camping/touring vehicle to places around the Western States and North and South of the borders once things open up.
I've always had it in my mind that I was going to chop the rear off and build a camper or something along those lines. The other option was to go with a poptop roof to create some more living space and not have to chop my car in half. Luckily some stars aligned and I was able to drive down to Colorado to pick up a Campteq. So we'll pretty much start the build thread from here.

Here are a couple updates on the Campteq poptop install.
Got the interior mostly gutted. Couple more things to pull out. Eventually I'll be building a full interior with cabinets and whatnot to create a comfortable living space.
20210612_194833.jpg

My dog was helping with this stage hence the stuffed animal.

Here we have to top all rigged up up out of the way in the shop. Been working alone so I've had to get crafty using some work related techniques.
20210613_133546.jpg

A more detailed shot on my lifting technique used to position the top.
20210614_180844.jpg

Got the hole cut in the roof. Pretty straightforward. I opted to just extend the line out from the sunroof. Seems like it will mate up well with the top. The hardest part was removing the sunroof. luckily I was able to employ a little help from my brother for this.
I also ended up just removing the headliner altogether and I'll come up with a plan on how to finish that once it's glued on. For now we move forward.
20210613_144008.jpg

Here is what it looks like with the sleeping platforms folded up. Plenty space for a party. This feature is one of my favourites.
20210613_152457.jpg

Fun. Look forward to watching progress. Which rear hatch ladder is that?

Been busy with a bunch of other things not 80 series related. Here's an update on the campteq install.
20210627_185221.jpg

Got the roof and top primed and then had some free time after dinner so we decided to go ahead and glue it down.
20210627_202739.jpg

Just waiting for it to cure and then I'll get stuck into cleaning it up and then the roof install is done.
Next up will be redoing the bedline in Monstaliners jungle love green.

Started the painting portion of the project. Not quite done yet but it's looking decent so far. Solidly gassed myself out inside my shop.
I used Monstaliner Jungle Love bedliner and rolled it on this time. A little less prep-work needed and it went on nice and thick.
Definitely not perfect but it's no show truck so I'm happy.
20210719_191551.jpg
20210715_061451.jpg

Door handles taped or you just rolled right over?? Cool setup!!!

Door handles taped or you just rolled right over?? Cool setup!!!
I just cut in the hard to reach parts with a brush and then rolled right over them. Taped the keyhole. Not perfect but it works for now

Really nice. I like a simple camp setup but have to admit pop top would be amazing. Mostly becouse it expands the room inside the truck when not sleeping.

Really nice. I like a simple camp setup but have to admit pop top would be amazing. Mostly becouse it expands the room inside the truck when not sleeping.
That was the main idea. Having a space outside the elements to cook and whatnot.

Got some good beta testing in at Solid axle summit. Car works well and feels nice and light. Obviously I'm still lacking a rear bumper which is just sitting in my garage for now.
Areas to focus on next are the interior and then diagnosing some maintenance issues.

20210805_112355.jpg

Installed a Tuffy center console. Model number 012-04.
Pretty straightforward install. Used the writeup here on Mud for some guidelines.
Feels nice and solid and fits my goodies that I'm trying to avoid having snatched.
20210822_153628.jpg

Also got distracted and installed Rav4 3 jet washer nozzles.
Part number: 85381-42070

20210808_115301.jpg

I noticed the box you have in the back. If you build it out as a camperish in the back I have a idea. A friend of min just built a sprinter. Used 1" 80/20 bar to make cabinet/counter frame. The bar is cheap but the 90 degree brackets are expensive. He found he could make brackets from angle aluminum he cut with a chop saw and found cartridge bolts that fit. He skinned it in thin plywood. But I would like to see one skinned in some type of synthetic material like kydex or fiberglass sheat of sometype.

I noticed the box you have in the back. If you build it out as a camperish in the back I have a idea. A friend of min just built a sprinter. Used 1" 80/20 bar to make cabinet/counter frame. The bar is cheap but the 90 degree brackets are expensive. He found he could make brackets from angle aluminum he cut with a chop saw and found cartridge bolts that fit. He skinned it in thin plywood. But I would like to see one skinned in some type of synthetic material like kydex or fiberglass sheat of sometype.
I actually have 40 feet of 80/20 sitting underneath the car right now to do exactly that. I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do the panels but some sort of synthetic material would look really nice. I was considering using Baltic birch and then coating it in bedliner.

I actually have 40 feet of 80/20 sitting underneath the car right now to do exactly that. I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do the panels but some sort of synthetic material would look really nice. I was considering using Baltic birch and then coating it in bedliner.
That would also look nice. I have built about 4 sleeping platforms and finally found a set up that works for me. I built it out of scrap bookshelves to see if the idea worked. 2 years later the scrap bookshelves are still working. But it would be nice to finally do it right. I dont really think wood belongs in vehicle. But I do use it a lot becouse it is readily available and easy to work with.

At one point I found a product that is 4x8 sheats of fiberglass just like plywood. It is a honeycomb patern sandwiched in smooth sides. Lighter than wood and water proof. It is used as boat decking material. I think it would work great for a sleeping platform but I was never able to buy it from a shop so just went with wood. But given the quality of your build it might be worth looking for.

Finally got some little projects taken care of on the 80. We developed a pretty major oil leak in the oil pump area so parts have been ordered to sort that out before much else happens.

Installed Delta's rear window racks and put together a coffee/drinks shop on the one side and then quick access recovery and vehicle related gear on the other side. So far I'm liking them set up like this. I may end up building my electrical/charging station onto one side.
20220126_165054.jpg

Next up was the 4x4Labs rear bumper which my buddy kindly welded together in exchange for some parts and beer.
We'll probably add a receiver hitch to the swingout for the bicycles.
IMG-20211206-WA0000.jpg

Now I finally have a place outside the vehicle to keep the tyre, water and spare fuel.
rear bumper.jpg

One last thing I've been tinkering with lately is mounting my compressor. I removed the second battery in the front which will go in the back instead so now I have a nice big spot in the engine bay to mount it. Does anyone know of a bracket out there there that I could use to mount it?
If there isn't anything already made I'll most likely just take it to a local fab shop to have something put together.

Here's an example of what I'm picturing for the compressor:
20220108_172453.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom