80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

VDO EGT and transmission temp gauges plus a 2 port USB with voltmeter DRO. The paint match is closer in real life, the photo makes it look much lighter than it is.

I'd like to put an external temp gauge in one of the unused switch blocks - maybe replace the aerial up/down switch. Does anyone know of a unit that fits? Thanks.

20190730_114827.jpg

VDO EGT and transmission temp gauges plus a 2 port USB with voltmeter DRO. The paint match is closer in real life, the photo makes it look much lighter than it is.

I'd like to put an external temp gauge in one of the unused switch blocks - maybe replace the aerial up/down switch. Does anyone know of a unit that fits? Thanks.

View attachment 2043555
Nice! What paint did you use?

Does anyone have the overhead aux/compass unit? Can you measure the opening like this for me?
Wondering if i could mod a 14-1 sending unit and program a new screen in an opening the size of it.
View attachment 2043261
52mm high and 200mm at widest and 190mm wide at bottom cause it’s not a rectangle. My Innovate AFR gauge body measures 50mm wide but I’m mounting it on the pillar.

Will be replacing a Madman EMS1, which was bomber and served us well for 8 years, with the new EMS3 52mm in a single gauge pod.
View attachment 1951484
The settable hi/lo alarm for each parameter has paid for itself a few times. Actually saved my engine twice - an oil leak and later a coolant leak. It's awesome to hand your GF the keys and say "if it alarms - pull over and call me".Also has the hour meter for servicing.
Madman is coming out with a new wifi based android app and controller with custom inputs called Bravo. Hopefully will solve the problem of running OBDII apps on older vehicles without going Arduino.
No affiliation - but I like to support products actually intended for offroad use

Just contacted madman about the EMS3.
I was set on running a 14-1 and planning to either mod an overhead JDM console with the screen in place of the guts or design/3d print different arms that would bolt onto the rear view arm or a few other locations i had in mind.
Now i'm toying with the idea of the madman plus a standalone wideband in a different location.

@SHREDwagon Have you received your EMS3 yet? their product page is horrible. No real info, price, whats included, whats supported really. Looks like i should be able to monitor boost, oil temp, pressure and water temp on the same gauge. Curious if they could support an AFR reading with say an innovate or spartan wideband.
Trying to find a way to do this that is easy to view but remains subtle.

The new EMS3 will be shipping from SA mid-August. Contact Sales@madman.co.za (Brian) to get on the list as they should sell out quickly. Yes to all inputs - confirm with Brian what senders are supported.
The EMS Bravo will be released sometime afterwards which has more custom configurations. The EMS3 is all I need personally.

Last edited:
I’m running Defi Advance RS gauges. I like them because I only have to run one cable to the gauges from the control unit, and daisy chain the others. All the sensors go directly to the control unit and tucked out of sight. Aso has a button to show peak, and can set visual and audible alarms. Currently have them mounted on the dash because there’s nowhere else to put them. Doesn’t really block outward view (unless you prefer to see the hood instead of the gauges). Thinking of maybe trying out a pillar mount

DEFC776B-9857-464F-9AED-AB80D075A436.jpeg
4C522135-CB18-4054-8A91-5E00EF652A3F.jpeg
6E6DB8C9-B01D-4695-8720-0D0B9DFBA67A.jpeg

This option will be hitting the market very soon as well. The big hole in top will have replaceable faceplates you can customize or we will have a bunch of options from the get go (gauges, switches, etc).

This is (maybe) obviously the shifter console (to go with our soon to be released center console), so putting gauges down there is more of a "once it's tuned" thing and a "hmmmm, something seems fishy" thing, than an "I have to keep my eyes on this gauge" kind of thing. Which is what a properly setup system should be anyway.

This piece will fit both the 91-94 and 95-97 dashes, so all good there.

View attachment 1963290
This is exactly what i have been looking for ....

This is a great thread - didn't know it existed!

Here is my $36 solution:

1.JPG
2.JPG

I would use a 1” RAM mount ball mounted to where the knob screws into the backside of the gauge. Another 1” ball in one of the threaded inserts of the cubby mount and a ram arm connecting the two.

I’m not very familiar with the RAM mount systems.
So ball with a 1/4-20 male stud would screw into the Wits End dash piece.
I’ll need to see if there is a threaded insert on the gauge. I’m guessing not, as it would go into the body of the gauge & take up space.
What mounts the two balls together?

Also, I’ve seen the universal cell phone mounts, do those have a 1/4-20 stud on the backside, or just a 1” ball?

If theres not a threaded insert on the gauge back then Theres always a willing person on mud to 3d print a bracket that attaches to the gauge.

I’m using the RAM mount and Wit's End cup holder insert with a ProClip cell phone mount. I'll take a photo this weekend. You can also use adhesive to attach a ball mount to the back of the gauge. And then there's a variety of "arms" that go between the ball mounts depending on reach and angle that you want/need.

Here is my setup using the cubby mount and ram products to hold my phone. If the gauge doesn’t have space for a threaded 1” ball to be affixed to it, you could probably use the exact setup I have. The ram phone holder is spring loaded for a friction fit. They also offer 2 holder sizes, the one in the picture is the smaller one. If that doesn’t suit your aesthetic, you could apply a thin metal plate via double sided tape to the back of your gauge and a magnetic ram mount with 1” ball in place of the spring mount. The plates are sold separately for phones to use magnetic mounts. All of these products can be had on Amazon.

9B3AB892-1EC8-4724-8229-D3651251C49E.jpeg

RAM arms are pretty big, but you don’t really notice it behind a cell phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom