80 Series Aftermarket Gauge Choices & Mounting Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have not. Several 6-day work weeks & driving home from a week-long camp trip today.

I might not get to this til after the turbo is bolted in.

Happy with my 4 channel gauge. I tested the mounting position for a couple months before wiring it up. No knee interference and it's out of view and direct sun. Currently only monitoring a 150c vdo sender in my atf hot line and voltage. Once I go turbo, I'll add oil temp and post compressor intake temp. Adding a 4th sender is TBD at this point. Going to use an AEM failsafe for boost and wideband O2, mounted to the steering column.

20190617_162248.jpg

So I just stumbled upon this online. Fitment is for a 2nd gen 4runner (1990-1995). I am just wondering how similar the A pillars are between the two. Anyone have any exposure with this? The company that makes them is call Lotek. Found a collection of guys on another forum for the 4runner, using them. Just tossing around ideas.

What I got:

Redarc electronics gauges.
The pillar pod is just from eBay.
Only two pods, an not sure if redarc has AFR gauges though.
Maybe not helpful.

View attachment 2010185
Where did you get the dual pod? I tried ordering from Australia but they reneged and sent my money back a month later.

I'v seen the drill in tap on the round flat spot of the exit pipe but also the splice into the upper rad hose using one of the metal tube adapters. I'm thinking adapter route. Hose is cheaper to replace if i pull the whole system out.

Adapter, can be found many places for <$10
@Wompom - I'm about to pull the trigger on this same setup. Do you know what size hose adapter is needed?

Well "My journey took me further down the rabbit hole than I intended and though I dirtied my fluffy white tail, I have emerged enlightened" -Sherlock Holmes Nuuuuuuurd moment there, but I thought it was fitting. Im curious to see if I am the only one going with gauges like such, I cant be? Or could I???? :poof:

That is an AFR, Boost/Shift Light and Oil Temp/Pressure. Getting excited!

Well "My journey took me further down the rabbit hole than I intended and though I dirtied my fluffy white tail, I have emerged enlightened" -Sherlock Holmes Nuuuuuuurd moment there, but I thought it was fitting. Im curious to see if I am the only one going with gauges like such, I cant be? Or could I???? :poof:

That is an AFR, Boost/Shift Light and Oil Temp/Pressure. Getting excited!

View attachment 2031521

View attachment 2031515

Nice! Where are you mounting them?

My current idea is to put them in front of the gear selector and under the center council. It's out of the way, I know, however I don't think it will be too much. If this is too uncomfortable for me, than I think it will be pillar mount, which is just such an eye sore. I have also toyed with the idea to mimic the fjc cruisers with theirs on the dash. Also, thought about over head, but that seems very out of the way.

The more I research this, the more I realize I really just want a minimum of two inputs (battery voltage and coolant temp) and a max of four (oil pressure & temp) as I'm still years away from Joey's turbo kit (that's still under development because mine's a '94). However, I really, really want something with an audible alarm or at least an output to add an alarm. Does anyone have any recommendations on a simple gauge with alarm/warning/buzzer capabilities?

The more I research this, the more I realize I really just want a minimum of two inputs (battery voltage and coolant temp) and a max of four (oil pressure & temp) as I'm still years away from Joey's turbo kit (that's still under development because mine's a '94). However, I really, really want something with an audible alarm or at least an output to add an alarm. Does anyone have any recommendations on a simple gauge with alarm/warning/buzzer capabilities?

Lots of gauges have them. I ran prosport halos for years in my WRX that had audible/visual alarms you could program through the little touch pads were annoying.

Lots of gauges have them. I ran prosport halos for years in my WRX that had audible/visual alarms you could program through the little touch pads were annoying.
Thanks. I literally just encountered those as well as the Glowsport Elites that offer it as well. Did you install an included sensor as well?

I ran the halo boost/oil pressure with the sensors they came with. Boost is adjustable (you zero it based on elevation), oil pressure always seemed like it read higher than it should.

Have also run innovate widebands and trust them, but looking into keeping this less racecar and more basic since its a cruiser.

This option will be hitting the market very soon as well. The big hole in top will have replaceable faceplates you can customize or we will have a bunch of options from the get go (gauges, switches, etc).

This is (maybe) obviously the shifter console (to go with our soon to be released center console), so putting gauges down there is more of a "once it's tuned" thing and a "hmmmm, something seems fishy" thing, than an "I have to keep my eyes on this gauge" kind of thing. Which is what a properly setup system should be anyway.

This piece will fit both the 91-94 and 95-97 dashes, so all good there.

View attachment 1963290

This looks great, would be very interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom