80 rear bumper design/build.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Even if I don't commit I'd be happy to take a shipment for a local group

I'm committed and am in Texas as well.

We could take delivery in the DFW - happy to help - and the distribute from here. I'd even help carry some south.
I'd be willing to meet in Waco and haul to Austin area for the guys in San Antonio and Houston.

I'd be willing to meet in Waco and haul to Austin area for the guys in San Antonio and Houston.

If there are more guys in the south buying kits than I can always come that way. If it makes more sense to do a DFW drop off we need a business address with a loading dock. I MIGHT have one we could use.

I can help get kits south as well. Waco is an easy haul for me.

All right i sent out Pm's to all those who hadn't replied. I will Set the list Wednesday and start asking for money next week. price wise we are at 469 after tax that I have to pay for the cutting order, that the price at Quantity 20+tax.

:cheers:
-Mike

Wow, I thought interest would be greater. :(

I did too but to be honest best case for me would to have $575 in it shipped and still need it welded and thats only allowing $100 and change to ship it to the east coast.

With a GOOD welder you'll pay at least $125 and now you're at $700, that's only $100 shy of a bare IPOR and you still have to grind and prep for PC or paint. Then cut out the rear cross member, shiver me timbers, whereas the IPOR bolts right on and retains the stock hitch mount.

I'm not meaning to crap on this thread and to be honest I was totally stoked and excited when the thread first started, now I'm back at square one scratcing my head.

If the plans OR patterns for a NON formed one are ever available I'm in, hell a $150 worth of flat 6"x1/4" stock and I'dl knock this out quick with my cheap plasma cutter and risk welding it up myself.

Yes, but the IPOR bumper is still $795 + shipping + paint/PC no?

To me mderrick has a great solution for those that have a welder, some skills, and time. To me, the comparison is $469 (after tax) + personal time to weld vs. $795 + tax.

The kit is not for everone...but will work for me!

To me mderrick has a great solution for those that have a welder, some skills, and time. To me, the comparison is $469 (after tax) + personal time to weld vs. $795 + tax.

Free shipping on IPOR right now, so I guess these are shipping for free now?

Say you get it for shipped for $30 bucks, you still got $500 in it and you'll still have a couple hours cleaning it up and getting it ready to weld, an hour and a half for welding it up at least and that again in grinding the welds down.

Add up your materials, grinding wheel or two, some abrasive discs, acetone, welding wire, argon mix, electricity and at least five hours of your time. After that grab your sawzall and hack out that crossmember. You want a hitch? More expense and hope your welds are solid or don't care about what you're towing or anyone else on the road that may suffer death or dismembemberment if you f it up, I don't trust my welding that much and I've welded off and on for 25 years. Home welders will have to make several passes and have a usuable duty cycle of about 10-15% so welding it up at home in an hour isn't even possible if you're only tacking it together.

Sorry but for the that amount to save AT BEST $300 IF you get it shipped for $30 and ALL your incidental materials are FREE is what I call dimishing return. Sorry but there's a reason people aren't tripping over each other to get in line.

I'll refrain from further comment and wish those that buy the best and realize as Dallen said above "its not for everyone".

I've been looking for something like this since I picked up my 80 and would glady pay $100 for the PATTERNS to cut one out of 1/4" flat bar stock say 6" wide, forget the forming just box it. Easy to rip out straight lines with my cheap plasma cutter, tack it up wth my cheap gas fed mig, and THEN pay a guy who's welded his entire life $150 to make it PURDY. A GREAT welder will leave you with very little grinding. and $150 in flat 6"barstock will get you enough to do one with plenty of stock left over.

Mderrick if you ever think about doing one that can be cut from a variety of flat bar stock in any width or widths that doesn't have to win a beauty contest I'll be the first person to give you a benjamin for the patterns.

My offer for a commercial dock delivery at 20852 still stands for any mud members in need and I do get to Yok and Harrisburg PA about once a month if you need a mudship I'll be happy to help.

Last edited:

Same for me. A friend is willing to weld for somewhat cheap(meaning booze) which helps keep the $$ down for me. I can still keep my spare in the stock locale and keep the factory style hitch.

I can add a swing out later to help spread out the costs and still have a nice swingout type rear bumper for way less than anything else.

Maybe I missed it but I dont recall seeing that this bumper requires rear crossmember removal.

Well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed that more people get onboard. At $463 it's very close to 4x4 labs price point, and there are obvious advantages to dealing with established businesses. There are pros and cons about the design of both, in my opinion, so price is the biggest differentiator for me. We shall see.

I know he has the talent to make a box type we can make out of flat barstock and it wouldn't take much tinkering with his current cad design, same deal just not formed.

I think he'd sell patterns @ $100 like gang busters and for $400 after materials and pro welder we'd have bumper built like a brick s***house, the dude has solidedge talent.

Gents, if you're not interested please take it elsewhere. I was not intending to sell cad or kits in the beginning anyways.

Then cut out the rear cross member, shiver me timbers, whereas the IPOR bolts right on and retains the stock hitch mount.

If you look at the design, it slips over the frame, you can use a factory hitch if you so desire, or for those who want a integrated receiver hitch there would be some cutting. as for me I run a pintle hook that bolts to the pattern on rear crossmember.

Right now, on the stock bumper, I'm using the Man-A-Fre hitch that bolts to the rear crossmember, and I have the spare underneath, but relocated with the AJIK Overland spare tire leveling kit. I am assuming I will be able to use the same hitch and leave the tire where it is. Is that correct? Thanks!

Right now, on the stock bumper, I'm using the Man-A-Fre hitch that bolts to the rear crossmember, and I have the spare underneath, but relocated with the AJIK Overland spare tire leveling kit. I am assuming I will be able to use the same hitch and leave the tire where it is. Is that correct? Thanks!
Correct.

Im in dallas. Would love a dfw pickup obviously. Im definitely buying one but dont want to drive far if possible

Just found this thread am I too late to get on the list for one?
Jason 02840

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom