80 rear bumper design/build.. (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mderrick, do you have any side view pics of the new design mounted on your rig?

Also, did you change the thickness of your recovery points from your first design? Any plans to go thicker?

Good questions, I will let the pictures do the talking..
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421366329.876540.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421366357.743412.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1421366375.792599.jpg

got to work a bit on the spindle design.. I ended up sourcing parts here and there and creating what I think is way over kill double shear. what do you all think?

upload_2015-1-30_1-8-25.png
upload_2015-1-30_1-9-15.png

upload_2015-1-30_1-10-16.png

Seems like more work than is necessary to me. I have a Hanna Quality bumper with dual swingouts, and I can put my full weight on the spare and see no deflection in the spindle. Maybe an interior gusset on your design to eliminate any possible flex?

I understand, don't think you'll notice it above all the creaks and pops of a 20 year old rig. I can't, ha ha ha.

Sure, the first tire carrier I had built for my 40 sheared off at the top of the bumper due to fatigue over a few years..

Harmonics being what drove the fatigue along with grain structure in the heat affected zone from the weld.. I may not run the dbl shear, it just seemed like a fun challenge design wise..

This looks good. Nice and simple. Is there a way to keep a frame mounted receiver hitch? We tow a pretty heavy camper so a rated hitch is a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom