80 hard to steer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1995 80 is hard to steer almost need two hands to make sharp turns anyone have any ideas what could cause this or is this normal with 38" tires. No leaks fluid not low no binding no winning front end just went through (gear change and knuckle rebuild) just seems harder than it should to me. ANY IDEAS

Has steering been difficult only since you installed the 38" tires? The 36" tires I ran would not steer on pavement or concrete when the truck was static, only when it was was rolling. At some point it will get hydro-assist.

How many miles are on your truck? Might be time to freshen up the pump and/or reseal the box.

Mine steers great with 37" tires. Does it steer hard all of the time or inconsistent? How is the fluid condition, I run Mobil DTE light hydraulic fluid with good results.

How long has it been ( miles ) since you rotated those tires ?

Kalawang

I'm thinking that something is binding in the drive train.

Jack up the front axle so both tires are off the ground and spin one of them. Both tires should spin with a little effort and in the opposite direction.

If that checks out, put one tire back on the ground and shift the tcase in neutral. Now spin the tire that is off the ground and it should spin with a little effort.

this things been like this sionce I got in in may 2010. I got it all original put lift tires tube bumpers gears ect. on it. Changed from awd to part time steering still seems hard has 150,00 on it have pm pretty much every thing. Got it pretty much like I want it steering is livable but just annoying. Probably put 2,000 mi on it and tires ect are all new.

With the part time setup it should steer much easier than if you were still AWD. I'm with Rick, there is likely something binding in the steering. Take a close look at the steering box and sector shaft. If nothing else jack it as mentioned pop the drag link at the pitman arm and if the steering on the axle moves freely definitely check the box and steering shaft u-joints (one inside and one at the box input)

Are you sure the part time 4wd is properly disengaged? CDL unlocked? FR/RR switch turned off?

How was the part time done? Was the VC removed from the transfer case or did they just put the locking hubs on the front end?

It could be lots of stuff. Binding in the drive train. But it could also be a leaking power steering pump, or a loose belt somewhere, or the fluid could be shot. Or, you could just have maxed out the ps system with 38" tires.

no whinning no leaks no binding. Steers fine on jack stand even with motor not running. I guess it could be shot fluid never heard of this but Ill try changing fluid. Any suggestions on best way to get old fluid out.

My 1995 80 is hard to steer almost need two hands to make sharp turns anyone have any ideas what could cause this or is this normal with 38" tires. No leaks fluid not low no binding no winning front end just went through (gear change and knuckle rebuild) just seems harder than it should to me. ANY IDEAS

I had the same thing on the ShortBus with 40" tires. Tried most everything and gave up and put full hydro steering on it. ;)

Doesn't help you much, but we tried different steering boxes, pumps everything. On the lift it would turn free and no binding. Checked all steering components and it was all fine, just would not turn the wheels. In the end I just gave up on it and changed the steering since it was a rock buggy only.

Only thing we never tried was a brand new steering box. We tried a reman, but I do not believe the internals are really re-manufactured. I think the y just reseal the boxes. My theory was that the steering box is worn to the point that it allows the fluid to pass instead of making it turn.

part time 4x4 works perfectly did this before part time 4x4

You're running monster tires - the stock steering box wasn't built for that. But I understand that this 'hard to steer' is on pavement simply turning corners.

My understanding of Christo's issue with the Short Bus was that the steering wasn't able to push the truck back out of a crack while rock climbing. Christo - was it hard to steer on the street too?

What pressure are you running in the tires? Do you have headroom to increase the pressure? If you do, does it get easier to steer?

I don't think we've fully eliminated drive line bind possibilities.

Is your rear axle an open diff, factory electric, ARB, Aussie or welded?

If the rear end got locked up it could result in some under steer. Have you put the truck on jack stands to check for binding and/or if anything is locked that shouldn't be?

If the VC in the CD wasn't removed in the part time install, then you'll need the CDL engaged constantly. Front axles are turning - but not connected at the ends... Is there any chance that one of the wheel hub lock-outs is damaged or engaged?

You're running monster tires - the stock steering box wasn't built for that. But I understand that this 'hard to steer' is on pavement simply turning corners.

My understanding of Christo's issue with the Short Bus was that the steering wasn't able to push the truck back out of a crack while rock climbing. Christo - was it hard to steer on the street too?

It got progressive worse until it would steer on flat pavement when stationary. Would still steer if you were rolling.
[/QUOTE]

Steered like this before part time 4x4 and instaling elocker rear and front so preety much eliminates all that. Thanks for input though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom