79’ clutch not bleeding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
heres the scenario: clutch fluid removed 15 yrs ago. master cylinder new. getting ready to start after restoration.

-add fluid and pump about 15 times before it starts moving-get pedal
-bleed out some rusty colored fluid and diagnose leek at retainer clip spot
-close nipple and pedal is rock hard, pump hard a few times and busts loose. rusty color enters reservoir
-fluid will not move anymore after multiple attempts pumping pedal opened and closed at bleeder.

assume there is a clog from something busting loose when it was rock hard? slave cylinderis 20 years old but not too many miles.

Drain and flush the master cylinder, replace the soft line (maybe new hard line too) and the slave cylinder and start bleeding over. That’s what I’d do at this point.

I took the cup off of the MC and put compressed air through the line through the intake hole in the bowl. It was messy, but seemed to do the trick. It is passing fluid, and no more rust color coming back up into the cup. I suspect rust chunks in the line were the culprit.

The pedal is still not consistently firm, until pumped a couple times, so I think I need to bleed them more. Also, wondering if SC is shot. Seem to remember having the same symptoms in 99' when I was shuttling rafters in Oregon, had to milk the clutch to get good pedal. Replaced the SC and fixed the problem.

probably old seals, too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom