78?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.madtripper.com
I saw this ad today and it is fairly close to where I'm at. The description states it has drum brakes all around and a 3 speed transmission. I'm sure it could have been mix and matched at some point but does that make sense? Here is a link:

1978 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40

Thanks,

Tripper

The description states it has drum brakes all around and a 3 speed transmission. I'm sure it could have been mix and matched at some point but does that make sense?

It makes sense that someone took the upgrade parts, then someone else put it back together the way it is now. I don't know how much sense it would make to buy it the way it is now. The rear lights and markers are hokey. Hard to tell, but it looks like the front blinkers/marker lights are wrong too.

I'm not sure that it has a 3 speed installed, but that he has an extra 3 speed to go with it.

I'm not enough of an expert to know by looking at the pics if that's a 3 or 4 speed (or if you can tell from those pics).

The rear marker lights are the generic truck, trailer markers you'll see every single dump truck on earth with (and incidentally, J**ps).

I'd say though that since he "added gear oil" that it's definitely worth the $2500 he's asking. :)

Actually, $2500 might not be too bad, if it's got a 4 speed and the 3 speed is only an extra. From the pics presented, it doesn't look too bad.

Dan

I dropped him a note to see if he has better pictures and questioned the brakes and tranny. It is tough to find any cruisers in this area let alone for sale and actually running.

Tripper

I dig that rivet/screw job on the rear quarter and the green interior paint.

I hope those are generic rear lights, if those tail lights are from a Heep, go see it just so you can smack the guy:grinpimp:

Hi All:

Yes, I think it is a '78 - from the rear barn doors, rear pop-out windows (on the hard top), the side mirror, and the blue warning light on the dash. The "drum brakes all around" is puzzling - is it possible that someone swapped-in an older drum brake frontend at some point??( it is hard to tell from the photo but the lock-out hubs don't look like the typical Warn units of that era, more like the old-school Selectros.)

Afraid that you will have to check it out in live and in person! Be sure to go during daylight, and take lots of photos - then post 'em up here! :D

Good luck!

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom