78 FJ40 w/2f overheating (1 Viewer)

My water pumped failed that summer. I'm in AK so and I don't have a garage so it had to sit out the winter to start working on it again. Since replacing the water pump, the temp is right in the mid range until I drive it, the it starts heatig up quick. I tried another water pump, replaced all the hoses, and the fan clutch. When I burp the radiator the bubbles just keep coming. If I increase the RPM cooant blows out the radiator. Could this be a head gasket? I don't have any of other the typical head symptoms. I suspect the head gasket blew out at an exhaust valve and I'm getting blow back from my exhaust into my coolant. How would I check this?

The
G

Steamer

SILVER Star
A leak down test would help reveal a bad head gasket. Or at least get compressed air into each cylinder one at a time with a spark plug hole adapter and watch for bubbles in the radiator.

Steamer

SILVER Star
Forgot to mention. You'll need to rotate the engine so both valves are closed on the cylinder your testing.

A new head gasket is a one day project and a couple hundred dollars in expense. A rebuild is months and thousands of dollars so just do the head gasket if the engine runs well. I know how frustrating it is, been there too with my 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom