78 FJ40 w/2f overheating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My water pumped failed that summer. I'm in AK so and I don't have a garage so it had to sit out the winter to start working on it again. Since replacing the water pump, the temp is right in the mid range until I drive it, the it starts heatig up quick. I tried another water pump, replaced all the hoses, and the fan clutch. When I burp the radiator the bubbles just keep coming. If I increase the RPM cooant blows out the radiator. Could this be a head gasket? I don't have any of other the typical head symptoms. I suspect the head gasket blew out at an exhaust valve and I'm getting blow back from my exhaust into my coolant. How would I check this?

The
G

A leak down test would help reveal a bad head gasket. Or at least get compressed air into each cylinder one at a time with a spark plug hole adapter and watch for bubbles in the radiator.

Forgot to mention. You'll need to rotate the engine so both valves are closed on the cylinder your testing.

A new head gasket is a one day project and a couple hundred dollars in expense. A rebuild is months and thousands of dollars so just do the head gasket if the engine runs well. I know how frustrating it is, been there too with my 80 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom