77 FJ40 Alignment help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got a lot of wear on the outside of both the front tires. The front knuckles were rebuilt in 2015-truck has accumulated ~30K miles since the rebuild.
attached are the alignment data--anyone see a smoking gun here that might be the cause of the wear?

FJ40 knuckle rebuild alignment data.jpg

hard to read the hand writing, is he saying the toe in is too much? it is an easy fix, did he adjust it?
is the print out above from 4 years ago?
generally wear on the outside of steer tires is a toe in issue.
easy to measure with a helper and tape measure.
you want between 1/16" and 1/8" toe in
to adjust, loosen the clamp bolt on both tie rod ends and use a pipe wrench to rotate the tie rod tube, tighten bolts when done
you may need heat to get the tube to rotate.

Just looking at this and by no means and expert, but the camber numbers are interesting ... negative on the left and positive on the right with both pretty far out of spec. I'm not sure if not centering the outer shaft on the knuckle job would have caused this (or using the wrong shims in the wrong locations per the tech's notes). If i were guessing I would expect wear on the inside of the tire with negative camber (left) and wear on the outside of the positive camber (right)

Caster looks a little short of desirable, the larger your tires the less stability you will have at speed. I don't know if your caster #'s will impact tire wear, but you may want to think about some 2* shims to get it more positive.

Looks like he adjusted the toe in. On mine I wore the insides with too much toe in.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies--the printout is from 2015, yes. The notes are mine, I asked the shop tech those questions-the answers were "no". Claim was that same shims were put back where they came from.--Just that the truck ran for 8 years prior to this with no unusual wear.(different tires, though---total miles I put on them was around 12K).
Tires on it now are same size replacements--BFG LT 235/75R15--suspension is stock.

Hey My Friend....Maybe your suspension is shot! Time for a new one. After all it is 42 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom