'76 j40 master cylinder: rebuild or replace? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
homepage.mac.com
All
Got a leak in the rear reservour of the brake master cylinder. Loosing fluid quickly. Fire wall has peeling paint, no issues on the inside of the cab. The master was replaced about 10 years back, and vehicle does not have much mileage since then. Should I go for a rebuild, or a kit, or a new master? If you have sources for parts, please include information. Thanks!

I was looking for an FJ40 clutch master cylinder rebuild kit yesterday and saw some brake master cylinder rebuild kits on Cruiser Outfitters website - you may want to check with them.

I just installed the cruiser outfitter master cylinder, it did not have the bench bleeding kit with it. Also, the front reservoir lid leaked. You can use your old OEM lid. Also put a proportion valve in, purchased from the Racer. My FJ is also a 76

Just went through this dilemma. DO NOT BUY ANY BRAKE PARTS FROM CCOT! Sure they gave me two replacement master cylinder's after both leaked after a few weeks, but I finally bought an Aisin it fits better, and works great. If the bore of the master is pitted it will damage the new piston in from the rebuild. Personally have never been able to get results with a master rebuild kit. Just my 2cents. Pay now or pay more later.:grinpimp:

Personally have never been able to get results with a master rebuild kit. Just my 2cents. Pay now or pay more later.:grinpimp:

Me neither; now I'd rather just buy a whole new cylinder (wheel, master, clutch master & slave) than try to rebuild one. Aisin all the way.

Me neither; now I'd rather just buy a whole new cylinder (wheel, master, clutch master & slave) than try to rebuild one. Aisin all the way.
X-2--when you figure you are replacing a part that maybe lasted 30-something years with a part by the same mfg???--no contest

Leaking out the rear will most certainly take out the brake booster with it. Get the booster off the truck NOW, pull the grommet out that seals the check valve, and lay the booster down on it's face to drain the fluid out.

And start saving your $$ for another booster. IT's no longer a question of if, just when.

Mark

Yeah, I don't know why master cylinder rebuild kits are even sold. I've never heard of anyone having good luck with them in any vehicle.
The fluid attracts moisture, which rusts the cylinder bore, which pits the steel, which prevents any new parts from sealing properly.

OE readily available in the aftermarket from many MUD vendors , sold under the Advics brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom