'73 FJ40 - Clutch Master/Slave Cylinder and Brake Master Cylinder --- Rebuild or buy new (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, we need to either rebuild the Clutch Master & Slave Cylinder or buy a new one - any recommendations?
- I don't know if they make a rebuild kit for the slave cylinder.
- Is it better to buy new, if so, where do you recommend. It is funny, I was on CR and the Clutch MC for a '75-80 is $45 while the MC for the '71 to '74 is $170.

We also need to either build or buy a new Brake Master Cylinder.

Thanks in advance.

Often you can rebuild them for a fraction of new cost and rebuilding is simple. I always at least open them up and see if they're clean and not corroded before tossing rebuildable parts and spending $$. They're getting hard to find too, hence the hefty price tag for new/nos.

I just bought a rebuild kit for my clutch cylinders for my 77, at around $15 for the pair.
It's only weeping slightly at the master, so I figure that with new seals it should always be better.
If I get it apart and find that one really needs a new cylinder then I've only wasted the cost of a beer.
Better to spend the money on replacing the soft hose while you're down there.

The soft hoses can be bad and not be leaking fluid. If they are bad it will show up when you try to bleed them. They are cheap to replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom