'76 FJ40 wiper motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi again, ya'll!
When I bought my FJ40 a year ago I found that someone had severed the wire harness to the wiper motor. Don't know why but suspect there was something wrong with the motor or the switch. Anyway, is there a trick to testing the motor? When I ground the unit and touch a hot lead to the individual contacts within the connector on the motor... I get nothing. Do more than one of the wires need to be energized at the same time? Or, do I just find another motor? Would love some help! Thanks.

You might need to pull the motor apart and clean it. Refill the gear housing with silicone grease. There are a few threads with tidbits of info but I don't recall a great step-by-step. Once rebuilt make sure the windshield frame has a solid ground to the chassis. I ended up running a dedicated ground wire into the glove box because I was getting intermitted ground through the windshield hinges. Also think your wiper switch needs grounded to dash. So if you have fresh paint you'll need to scuff or run a dedicated ground wire.

Apply +12V to the solid BLUE wire, then ground either the Blue/Black wire or the Blue/Red wire for hi and low speeds. The Blue/White wire is for the park circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom