'76 FJ40 odometer e-clip lost during attempt to fix stuck numbers. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had dis-assembled the entire Instrument panel and had taken the odometer shaft out. The video from the 40 channel that showed the disassembly of the instrument cluster stops right after it shows you how to remove the entire numbers shaft from the support frame, and stops there without showing the dis-assembly of the individual rotors. I took the e-clip off and tried to slide the odometer wheels off but they wouldn't move off the shaft, and I was nervous about forcing them. I was putting the parts into labeled baggies when I picked up the black opdomer gear and e-clip and the e-clip stuck to my finger momentarily and then fell.... I don't know where. I spent 2 hours looking.

Does anyone know what size that e-clip is, and more importantly is it available anywhere? And what do you need to do to remove the individual odometer wheels from the shaft, which way are the wheels supposed to slide off the shaft?

The OD of the shaft is

mm OD = 3.12 mm
E-Clip grove OD (appox) = 2.8 mm My calipers may not be fitting all the way into the groove here to be accurate.

The shaft OD is pretty close to an 1/8 inch diameter shaft, the 3.12 mm would convert to 0.122 inch. I don't have a good way of getting the groove width accurately .

IMG_7556.jpg

Can you post the link to the video?

Can you post the link to the
Can you post the link to the video?

The video is in one of the replies here on IH8Mud, I think it’s in the 5th reply down. It’s an Australian FJ40 site called the 40 Channel. Up to the point that it stopped it was excellent. There’s another one I found that just has music for the audio and the instructions are text at the bottom of the screen. I see a physical difference between the actual odometer shaft in this video and my shaft, in that there is a bushing on both ends of my odometer shaft and I think that I didn’t see a bushing in the non gear side of this video. When I get home I will link that one as well.

The video is in one of the replies here on IH8Mud, I think it’s in the 5th reply down. It’s an Australian FJ40 site called the 40 Channel. Up to the point that it stopped it was excellent. There’s another one I found that just has music for the audio and the instructions are text at the bottom of the screen. I see a physical difference between the actual odometer shaft in this video and my shaft, in that there is a bushing on both ends of my odometer shaft and I think that I didn’t see a bushing in the non gear side of this video. When I get home I will link that one as well.
Second odometer repair video.

It looks like there isn’t a bushing on both ends of the odometer shaft on for this video but there are 2 on my shaft, and that the E_Clip is on the non gear end of the odometer stack for the one on this video.

EA922B8A-88ED-4091-85A2-4170854923E3.jpeg

They should slide off this end. Mine is from a 79’

Mine is a 76, but I don't think that the odometer changed from 76 to 79,

Worm Gear side of my odometer - white tenths of a mile rotor:
WormGear_Side.jpg

Non WormGear side:

Non_Worm_Side.jpg

I've got a bushing at both ends of the odometer shaft, and maybe an E-Clip on the non worm end behind the bushing. Something is between the leftmost black dial and the bushing.

Somebody had this apart, and did they put the parts back together correctly? The bushing on the left looks wider and maybe should be what is on the right side. The busing on the right is a lot narrower than the cavity in the nylon gear that belongs on the right side.

Here's a few pics I took during disassembly yesterday:

IMG_7548.jpeg
IMG_7553.jpeg

The 54709 milage is what the Cruiser had when I bought it, and I bought it knowing the odometer didn't work. The Speedometer does, and is pretty accurate when I compared it to a GPS speed app while I was driving to check the speed. The right 2 milage digits, "0" and "9" above, turn pretty freely. The "4" and "7" digits don't turn by hand, and I didn't try to force it. The leftmost digit "5" , will turn by hand, not quite as freely as the "0" and "9" but not terribly stiff either.

The E-Clip shown above fell off my work area and I have not found it. I bought a collection of E-Clips but haven't seen if I've got a good match for size or not.

What other information or pictures would you need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom