75 vs 78? -- 70-series vs 80-series? (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

interesting that you would go for the h15#.
And if a customer wanted something with minimal to no electrics, indirect injection for ease of biodiesel use (direct injection can be succesful with bio but often more problematic I believe). What would you recommend?
I'd go to the 1HZ if you wanted indirect injection. I like the 2H as far as no timing belt etc, but it's a lot easier to get 1HZ parts at this point in time.

I'd go to the 1HZ if you wanted indirect injection. I like the 2H as far as no timing belt etc, but it's a lot easier to get 1HZ parts at this point in time.
That's what I wanted to hear! There are a few folks making 2h aftermarket stuff, but some things like valve train rods are not obtainable. I guess parts are available to some degree as long as there is a market.

I do really like the timing cogs on the 2h, they have to last a long time. My mate with a volvo amazon (million mile club engine) had a timing cog fail, made from a compacted fiber just recently.

Also just recently learnt the 2h crank fits the 12ht.

But, yes, in hindsight hz would be nice to just get parts directly from tojo.

I wonder how many 70 series have been made in total? I believe for example that 6 million merc w123's were made (always correct me if wrong anyone), which cemented an aftermarket industry.

But really learned something upon 400hp injectors that is amazing really.

Thanks HJ
Tend to learn from stuff right in front of my narrow view unfortunately.

That's what I wanted to hear! There are a few folks making 2h aftermarket stuff, but some things like valve train rods are not obtainable. I guess parts are available to some degree as long as there is a market.

I do really like the timing cogs on the 2h, they have to last a long time. My mate with a volvo amazon (million mile club engine) had a timing cog fail, made from a compacted fiber just recently.

Also just recently learnt the 2h crank fits the 12ht.

But, yes, in hindsight hz would be nice to just get parts directly from tojo.

I wonder how many 70 series have been made in total? I believe for example that 6 million merc w123's were made (always correct me if wrong anyone), which cemented an aftermarket industry.

But really learned something upon 400hp injectors that is amazing really.

Thanks HJ
Tend to learn from stuff right in front of my narrow view unfortunately.
Simple is always good, but EFI does have some advantages.

12HT internals will fit inside a 2H, from memory the crank is the same. You could turn a 2H into a 12HT, you'd need to drill the block for the piston oil squirters and you'll also need a 12HT cylinder head, injectors, pistons etc. But it will physically fit in a 2H block.

If you haven't driven a worked Toyota diesel, try and do it. It's fantastic, we've worked on quite a few and it still never ceases to leave a silly grin on your face

Great info! I didn’t consider the transmission pairing with the engine.

From some quick reading, if sounds like the H151F pairs better with the 1HD-#. Does that sound about right?

Hello,

Yes, the H151F pairs better with a 1HD engine. H15X transmissions handle the power from engines such as the 1FZ, 1HD and 1VD better. However, they are rare in North America.

The H55F is common in North America.

If you can, get an H151F and do not look back.

Juan

Nice troopy you found. Wonder what the asking price is. It really depends what kind of travel you are planning (to pick 80 or 70).

We have been driving an expedition built 80 series that I converted to 1HDFT/H151 with a geared transfer case for the last 3 years 70k miles and in my opinion it’s the best diesel engine Toyota ever built as far as simplicity and performance. We love it as all around expedition rig.

Also currently building a 1988 troopy HJ75 that will be exactly what we want. But total budget is $90K and I’m doing most work myself. A big portion is dealing with rust. So make sure you check the body well. Rear bottom quarter panels, gutter, button of doors, rockers. I would also check compression. It’s a bit messy on the FT because it does not have glow plugs so you have to remove the injectors.

Good luck. Hope you find what you want.

Nice troopy you found. Wonder what the asking price is. It really depends what kind of travel you are planning (to pick 80 or 70).

We have been driving an expedition built 80 series that I converted to 1HDFT/H151 with a geared transfer case for the last 3 years 70k miles and in my opinion it’s the best diesel engine Toyota ever built as far as simplicity and performance. We love it as all around expedition rig.

Also currently building a 1988 troopy HJ75 that will be exactly what we want. But total budget is $90K and I’m doing most work myself. A big portion is dealing with rust. So make sure you check the body well. Rear bottom quarter panels, gutter, button of doors, rockers. I would also check compression. It’s a bit messy on the FT because it does not have glow plugs so you have to remove the injectors.

Good luck. Hope you find what you want.
This truck was posted here and expedition portal in May. He took the price down when it went to a broker but I remember it being well over 100. Just adding the prices in the add totals 140.

This truck was posted here and expedition portal in May. He took the price down when it went to a broker but I remember it being well over 100. Just adding the prices in the add totals 140.

Again, it really depends what you are going to use it. We do long trips with sometimes 1000 miles a day, so comfort is #1. We have a diesel 60 and am very tired after a full day driving. With the 80, it’s a different story. I drove very little a troopy but it feels something between a 40 and a 60. So on our troopy build we replaced front suspension to coil and plan to put a big effort on insulation. Seats are from a BMW M3 and also 80 series cruise control.

Did you get a chance to drive it?

Again, it really depends what you are going to use it. We do long trips with sometimes 1000 miles a day, so comfort is #1. We have a diesel 60 and am very tired after a full day driving. With the 80, it’s a different story. I drove very little a troopy but it feels something between a 40 and a 60. So on our troopy build we replaced front suspension to coil and plan to put a big effort on insulation. Seats are from a BMW M3 and also 80 series cruise control.

Did you get a chance to drive it?
Me? No, it was never in my realm of possibilities. I was just commenting and linking because I remember it being posted back then. The mud ad has a good video of it as well.

Go with Hella Sick

FTE is not electronic injectors. The injection pump is controlled by the ECU and sensors. It is about as simple as it gets for electronically control diesels go.

Cheers

jeez! over $100k, thats usd too I suppose. Gosh we are lucky for lc's in Oz.

Whilst I am sure I would enjoy a worked more modern lc, I do recall towing 1 1/2 t in a v8 cruiser uphill at 150km/h which was impressive, (I wasn't driving).

The newer stuff is just out of my budget overall for purchase price , running costs and maintenance. I can afford $600 for fresh injectors but not over $2k regularly for example.
Hard to beat 12km/l, slow but good for where and what she does.

gonna have to go by personal choice and budget, how much you shall wrench.

Personally I like old stuff, I tend to swim against the tide which is not recommendable. Very wary of anything electrical and in the process of eliminating as much electrical from my 2h, put a wilson switch and want to get rid of edic (which has lasted over 30 years).
But I did go led headlights (just noticed a bit of corrosion on some of the connections today less than 3 years old).

imo it is the electrical the first to go and usually un-fixable so purchase of a new electric unit is often necessary.

How much is a hd ecu? how long do they last?

Coils would be more comfy for sure, but coil compressors scare the bejesus out of me, baby I am. I like I can easily replace my leaf springs but also admit I put up with the occasional leaf spring clunk.

I average 200km one way trips, not too bad, and the occasional 900km, but yes feel tired after. Some passengers complain relative to age and bony bums, I tell them to suck it up..

I camp in the troopy every week, love it, no tent, rain no problem.

I like having the option of biodiesel on an indirect. Whilst possible, veg oil is more difficult on direct injection. Direct injection jumped light years in power delivery for sure. But the first diesel did run on peanut oil, and that sort of apocalypse is coming independence appeals to me. I can make biodiesel but not diesel.

A hd with h15# would be better in the city on the other hand, I curse driving in the city in my 2h with h55f. It is not a city car.

Overall, a hz would be better from my view as it is more forgiving in fuel quality and parts are available and put up with the h55f. I do not really enjoy towing, but happy I can occasionally.

Don't mind being overtaken or blown off at the traffic lights, just happy to get there reliably, slow n steady.

We all tend to love what we have, and some look or develop for something better. I go bush more than wrench myself. I know of some wizard mechanics who rarely leave the workshop, spanner in hand always.

'Bonzo's montreux' would suit any lc!
:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom