Builds 75 Series cab on 80 series chassis with Cummins 6BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a simple intake horn on my 4bt that was like a flat plate with a 2" tube on top. I can see you using something like that with one of those low profile cobra elbows.

I’ve only used it when the weather was around freezing. I used it in Moab when it was around 10 degrees one morning.
Did you guys pull it out entirely and not have to use a spacer to clear the injectors?

My 4BT came without it stock.

X2, my 4BT came without a grid heater of any kind. Still don't have one, and have no need for one. Feel free to remove entirely.

The factory 6BT 12V intake horn won't clear the Dodge injector lines if the grid heater is removed. I would need to machine down the grid heater to use as a spacer. Also I would need to get the horizontal Dodge injector lines which aren't cheap even used.

I think I have plan. I'm going to move the vertical injector lines and my modified intake horn over to the 80. The 80's horizontal lines will go to the 75. This solves part of the issue. I would still need an intake horn to clear the lines. The stock 12V will not and I don't remember if I tried to put the 24V one on the 80 to see if it would. I'll do that tonight to check fitment.
@GLTHFJ60 Can you get me a measurement of your intake horn? bottom to top.

To clarify, I have the spacer where the grid heater would go, I just don't have a grid heater installed. I narrowed the intake horn about 3" to clear my brake booster.

Still want a measurement?

To clarify, I have the spacer where the grid heater would go, I just don't have a grid heater installed. I narrowed the intake horn about 3" to clear my brake booster.

Still want a measurement?

View attachment 1983661
Thanks. No measurement needed. Looks like I will need to get a spacer and machine down if needed.

Based on the pic of my engine, it looks like the intake horn comes up enough to miss the VE pump lines without the spacer, but I'm not sure if it would miss your p-pump lines.

Based on the pic of my engine, it looks like the intake horn comes up enough to miss the VE pump lines without the spacer, but I'm not sure if it would miss your p-pump lines.
Looks like you are close to your hood also.

I borrowed a used set of stainless lines from injection shop next to work. He wants $200 for them if they work which isn’t bad since they are $$$ new. They are slightly oversized.

Well it’s better but the stainless are thicker and a bit taller than the stock lines. They sure do look pretty but would only be able to drop 1/4”
7151A593-D3EB-44DD-A816-AB336E5FC33A.jpeg
68D27569-05DD-4B2A-9EC3-49C4C994F5DC.jpeg
0820C0A6-758D-44EF-BB07-E0439939DE97.jpeg

Other option would be to use this one and pull a @GLTHFJ60 and cut it and move the exit back a bit to clear the lines with a cut down spacer in the grid heater location.
40411C0C-07B1-455C-BBEC-D6841447A051.jpeg
64EFEF92-9700-47CE-9D9A-F10638658972.jpeg
BE4F75C6-ADBC-464E-BAB2-1A6DBD4F1688.jpeg

With the last option, if you move the intake back to clear the lines, won't it hit the brake booster/MC?

How much height between the valve covers and hood do you have?

EDIT: If it's really that tight to the hood, I'd make a completely custom horn. Cut the flange off of one of those, and make your own setup that clears everything out of 2.5" aluminum tubing.

Unless I missed something, don't you still have the option to raise the entire cab? Doesn't look like you need a lot.

With the last option, if you move the intake back to clear the lines, won't it hit the brake booster/MC?

How much height between the valve covers and hood do you have?

EDIT: If it's really that tight to the hood, I'd make a completely custom horn. Cut the flange off of one of those, and make your own setup that clears everything out of 2.5" aluminum tubing.
I need to put the boost and MC back in to check. Good call. I think I could gain about 1/2" more if the intake horn moved back about an inch. I have plenty of room over the valve covers.
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG

Unless I missed something, don't you still have the option to raise the entire cab? Doesn't look like you need a lot.
You are correct. I haven't mounted anything to the frame yet so that is a possibility but I want to keep the body as low as possible.

I was asking about height above valve covers to try to figure out how much intake height you have. I am close-ish to the hood, but have clearance, enough that I never tried to measure how much I have.

If you did an oval intake tube then you could gain even more height above the injection lines.

Last option, cut a hole in the hood? Hood scoop can look cool and give you room for your intake.

I was asking about height above valve covers to try to figure out how much intake height you have. I am close-ish to the hood, but have clearance, enough that I never tried to measure how much I have.

If you did an oval intake tube then you could gain even more height above the injection lines.

Last option, cut a hole in the hood? Hood scoop can look cool and give you room for your intake.

I'll have to pull horn and close hood to check but I'm pretty sure I have enough. I may have to do a few things to get that 1" needed. I still think I can get 1/2" by modifying the support brace on the hood. I'm not against cutting a hole and adding a louver but I would be cutting into the brace. I also want to be able to fold down windshield so I have to think about to.

I'm thinking something like this to clear the #6 line and hope it allows me further down. It's a no cost attempt.
fullsizeoutput_628.jpeg

Put the brake booster in first for sure. That horn wouldn't fit at all without removing 2" of length on moonshine. I have to assume that the booster is closer to the centerline of the truck on a 7x series truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom