'75 FJ-40...to sell or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.coreaide.com
Greetings from Johnny New Guy here! I have a '76 FJ40 w/ '78 350SB conversion. Fair condition and mechanically sound. CA legal, now in the Atlanta area. Was my daily driver from 94-07 and am now trying to determine if I should sell or invest in reviving her. It is killing me!!!:mad:

Problem - I have absolutely no clue how to establish mkt value. Any thoughts on where to look so I can mkake an informed decision???? Thanks all!

Peace

-Bluto

Bluto - post up some pics of your rig and a list of mods that have been done to it and you will eat appropriate feedback on price.

You could check the classifieds too, but if I were you and I think most of us feel the same way about selling a landcruiser... the minute you sell it you will instantly regret it and end up buying another one, revive it! :)

-Charlie

Sell it? Nothing is sold until we decide it is. Was it sold when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Hell no. And it ain't sold now. Cause when the going gets tough...
The tough get going. Who's with me now?

To answer your question, do a search on eBay under fj40. Advanced search, choose cars and trucks. Still advanced, choose completed items only. This shows you actual deals that closed. You'll see a ton that did not sell too.
Advantages: 1. you see market value, nationwide. If your rig is nice, you'll get bids nationwide, or at least regionally. I often shop for and buy stuff in Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and San Diego from Phoenix. . Cars and trucks are cheap to transport across a couple of states. 2. Actual deals closed, not just dealers trying to shoot the moon on a trade in they paid too much for or guys recycling the same car through 10 cities on Craigslist and eBay. The unsold vehicles will show up in red, or you can filter them out too. 3. You get a feel for value, or lack of, for things like rust, power steering, v8 conversion, rock stock original,etc.

disadvantages: 1. Regional value. A rust free truck is worth less in Arizona than other places, for example. I've bought complete near running (one needed the provided new fuel pump installed) fj40s with a couple of dollar bill sized spots for $2k, whereas up north or back east it would have been more. You need to watch closely where the seller was and where the buyer was. 2. Seasonal adjustments. Might be able to sell a topless one in springtime, but need the hard top for it in the fall.

Also check Craigslist in the major cities within 500 miles. Careful though, there are guys that put eBay selling prices on parts cars these days.

Either way, make sure this is not the one 'I should have kept.' Or, just think of yourself as merely the steward for a while and give someone else a turn.

If you sell it, you're going to be that guy I see everywhere I go that says" man I had one of those and I kick myself every time I see one. I never should have sold it."

Sell it? Nothing is sold until we decide it is. Was it sold when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Hell no. And it ain't sold now. Cause when the going gets tough...
The tough get going. Who's with me now?

Classic Blutarski!

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom