For Sale 73k miles, Triple-locked, black Collectors Ed. 1997 in CA, mint (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD AS OF 10/31/2017

Triple locked, 73k original miles 1997 black Collectors Edition Toyota Land Cruiser, mint, clean Arizona title in hand. You read that right. This is the unicorn of unicorns, and you have to see the unblemished paint to believe it. The car smells brand-new inside, has ZERO rock chips on the leading edges of hood/bumper/mirrors, and the original leather looks brand-new. This is not a “restored” Land Cruiser. With the exception of the Old Man Emu lift, larger BFG tires and high-end paint in factory black, this is an all-original and remarkably preserved, entirely complete Collector’s 80 with Front and Rear locking differential option, matching VIN tags on frame and everywhere else, highlighted in pics. This is likely the only triple-locked Collector’s edition in this pristine of original condition, with under 75k miles in the nation, if not in the world, particularly in black. If you have been holding out for a unicorn, this is the one. Regardless of price, 80’s like this simply do not come onto the market. VIN: JT3HJ85J6V0184209

I will let the pictures of this museum-quality specimen speak for themselves before continuing with price, history and more details. Everything works, from the Front, Rear and Center Diff locks to the D-light on the dashboard, to the power antenna and original power drivers seat.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I will add many more pics in responses below.

Everything included with a brand-new 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser is here and works, this includes:

-original steering wheel leather, excellent condition

-two original Toyota keys, like new, including two factory alarm key fobs, excellent condition

-all three rows of original Collector’s Edition floor mats

-original window sticker, indicating the locking differential option and the pricey Collector’s edition option, including black pearl logos, custom edition floor mats and more

-all original owners manuals

-original jack, jack jacket and toolkit

-original driver’s seat leather and mechanicals, works excellent

-the D light on the dash works

-original leather center console and shift knob, excellent

-even the small roughly 4x3 inch piece of carpet that rests at the bottom of the center console cavity

-original antenna functions perfectly

-original TOYOTA windshield and original glass all around

-original elastic netting on back of Drivers and front Passengers seats is tight, has never been stretched or used

-original “burlwood” interior components in excellent condition with occasional patina

-original “black pearl” badging on the exterior (this was custom to the Collector’s Editions and is a neat touch if you have not seen it in person)

-every original piece of exterior trim plastic and lighting is unfaded, unscratched, uncracked, with original plastic gloss (On many other rust-free Cruisers this gloss has faded from sun exposure, but this vehicle was kept inside so often that even the exterior trim plastic shines like new. See pictures.)

-door-handles, exterior key slots and moveable TOYOTA key cover on tailgate all unscratched, unblemished and like-new

-all original Collector’s Edition exterior badges

-all three rows of original leather seats, excellent

-all original carpet, light patina in places, could be removed if desired

-all original hub caps

-all rubber is soft and looks/feels new, including the weather stripping and the rubber between the wheel well flairs and the body

-all power locks work

-all power windows and moonroof work

-every other component you would expect on a brand-new 1997 Collectors Edition Land Cruiser rolling off of a Toyota lot 20 years ago, is here.

Last edited:
PRICE: $45,000 Serious Cash Offers Entertained

A few years ago I had this Cruiser professionally appraised by a proper collector car appraiser, so I could secure a collector auto insurance policy on it. At that time, he valued this Cruiser at $25,000 based on comparable actual sales and the uniqueness of features such as the Diff locks, Collectors edition and condition. I presently hold an agreed-value collector’s auto policy on this Cruiser for that amount, so the buyer should know there is precedent for a high-dollar, agreed-value collector policy on this truck, and I would be happy to share insurance company name/appraisal/info with serious buyers. Given the rising price of recent 80 sales (with at least two notably inferior examples at $30k within the last 6 months), I expect a good appraiser could produce a more accurate appraisal to reflect how the vehicle has further appreciated.

Additionally, this Cruiser is titled and registered in Arizona, which means that legally, between private parties THERE IS NO SALES TAX, as far as Arizona is concerned. I repeat $0 sales tax due to the state where this truck is registered and titled. Also, the present registration is good until 2021.

I have the clean and notarized Arizona title in hand. VIN: JT3HJ85J6V0184209

When you run the VIN you will see that the collector from whom I purchased the truck lived in Pennsylvania. He swore to me that he never drove it in the winter, and the pictures of the undercarriage prove him to be truthful, as does the Carfax mileage during his ownership. More than two dozen undercarriage pictures are included, showing every major angle of a rust-free frame and mechanicals. (Living in California now, I have seen newer AZ and California cruisers with more underside rust than this 80 series. I will let the pics speak for themselves.)

In the Spring of this year, a white 1997 LC with triple-lockers and 78k miles sold on Ebay for $29,500. That example HAD been off-roaded, had some trail pinstriping and was fairly clean, but it was not comparable to this Cruiser cosmetically, nor was it a Collectors Edition. More recently, a nicely restored UNLOCKED 40th with high miles sold for $31k.

Because this Cruiser is black,
because it is the Collector’s Edition,
because it is in one-of-a-kind with 73k miles and factory lockers,
because its condition is unrivaled and nearly all-original,
because 80 values are bound to continue rising, with this riding the very top of that wave,
and because I hope the buyer will steward it and be a caretaker of this truck as I have, I am asking $45,000 OBO for this Cruiser. I am offering it for sale, not for auction. However, just like the sale of a home, I do reserve to right to consider multiple offers and then accept the “best offer” at my own discretion, should multiple offers come in at or above asking.

The vehicle is presently at my home in San Jose, California. I will be in town and available to show it here in CA until October 30.

If this 80 does not sell by October 31 at, near or above asking, then I will list it on EBay at that time.

I respect the Mud community, and I want to give true Land Cruiser enthusiasts first option on this vehicle.

I will only accept cash for this vehicle (and possibly up to 18k max in trade for a clean non-white 04-07 100 series, w balance being paid in cash). If you are not comfortable traveling with that amount, please be sure your funds are accessible from a bank branch in San Jose. If you prefer, we can walk in and exchange title and funds from your account in the presence of a private banker of your choosing.

Please do not travel to see this vehicle unless you have the cash. The collectors insurance policy on this vehicle is very strict, and so I will not be offering test drives to anyone who does not demonstrate the financial liquidity to purchase the vehicle. If you need to sell some asset to afford this vehicle, then please get that done before you contact me.

If we correspond, please do not consider the vehicle as reserved or yours until you provide full funds.

Last edited:
HISTORY:

I bought this Cruiser a few years ago from an older Cruiser aficionado and collector who has one example of each generation (40, 55, 60, etc). I fully intended to keep this 80 forever as the 80 series is the climax of the LC in my opinion, and a locked Collector’s/40th is the climax of the 80 (These are also so low in production number/high in demand as to remain fantastic appreciating investments). I dreamed of picking up my grandkids from the airport in this 80, some 30 years in the future. I knew jobs and houses would change, my own body will age, but I saw this Cruiser as one physical constant in a changing life.

When I purchased this 80, I had it inspected by a Toyota dealership. They certified that it was in excellent condition and that they could not recommend a single repair or service for it. I have since put about 2,000 miles on it.

I had the vehicle shipped to me from across the country. I knew it was clean, but I was entirely unprepared for just how pristine and brand-new this 80 is. When it arrived and rolled off the shipping rig, I felt bad driving it the 90 miles on highway required to get back to my home in Arizona. (At that time it had aftermarket wheels, but I had talked the seller into sending the original Collector's wheels along. In time I got BFG rubber onto the originals, as pictured.)

Seeing how chip-free the paint was, I just could not bring myself to drive this 80 as a daily. Most 2017 and 2018 cars on the road have more door dings and paint chips than this flawless 1997, and so I have been keeping her in the garage, under a soft cover, ever since. I keep Sta-Bil in the fuel tank, and I drive her gently + engage the lockers about once per month.

As much as I want to keep this museum-quality 80 forever, I’m now choosing to focus my time and energy on my children. Perhaps when I’m older I will be able to buy this or a similar Cruiser again and fulfill my dream of taking the grandkids out in it, though I have yet to see another 80 like this one for sale at any price, anywhere, within the last four years, and I look almost every night, like some of you :)

Last edited:
As the photos demonstrate, literally everything is original, with these exceptions:

1. Old Man Emu lift and steering stabilizer

2. 285/65 BFG K02’s, which have less than 400 miles on them, purchased from America’s Tire (Discount Tire in CA) within last year

3. A highest quality repaint of the leading edge on the hood and rearview mirrors, so that there are literally ZERO dings or chips on the paint of this vehicle. When previous owner did this, he opted to have the front and rear bumper painted to match the body in the factory Toyota black, rather than in their original factory gray. As with the leading edge of the hood, there are ZERO dings or chips on the bumpers or wheel well flairs.

4. I have never towed with this vehicle, and I have never taken it off-road (see pictures for proof of those claims). I did store some heavy hunting, camping and expedition equipment in the backend, and because I did not want the rear springs to sag or sink over time, I inserted suspension air-bags into them, so that the back could be loaded up, the airbags inflated, and the springs/struts unaffected by the weight. These airbags can easily be removed. For installation, I squeezed the deflated bags between the gaps in the springs, so that I would not have to drill on the metal of this all-original Cruiser.

5. The hubcaps in these photos are reconditioned from another 80. The original hubcaps from this CE cruiser, which show some light wear, are included in the sale. The same is true with the rear rubber connection between the running boards and fender flares.

[Note: Each of the above non-factory improvements can be easily undone, should anyone want a truly museum quality factory original, although each is an improvement in my opinion]

I love driving and owning Cruisers, and I genuinely believe this is the best 80 in the country. I know I will regret selling it, but with young children my priorities have changed.

I thank you for looking. I hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoy the vehicle. Please let me know if you have any serious questions or inquiries.

More than 300 additional high-res photos are available at this link. Each can be zoomed in and expanded to further examine the quality of the vehicle. Click this link for those photos: MediaFire

Last edited:
Last edited:
Photos of all VIN tags and VIN stamp on frame, as well as 300+ more high-res photos of the vehicle, available here: MediaFire Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Price-aside, are all lines/hoses/etc. 20 years old as well, or have they been replaced (with OEM) more as preventative maintenance?

Ditto for fluids; has it recently been base-lined, or is the age of all fluids unknown?

Certainly if these were addressed earlier my apologies, for overlooking.

Last edited:
I never thought I would see one in this condition again, particularly as well optioned. Would love to add to the stable if I could afford it. GLWS.

I have photos of all VIN tags and VIN stamp on frame, as well as 200 more high-res photos of the vehicle, all to be uploaded within the next few days. Happy hunting.
I'm at a loss for words to describe this pristine beast!! I own a 94, fully locked, 100% stock LC that has been through my family for 24 years. My two kids learned to drive in it and used it daily. But never have I seen one this beautiful. If I were in the market I'd be all over this. Someone will get a truly beautiful rig that will certainly be the envy of all other cruisers. GLWS. I know you hate to see it go. Put it away for your grand kids. You may never see another low mileage example like this again.

definitely a collector's edition if I've ever seen one

Purity. @cDan might want it for his museum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom