72 FJ40 1F Aisin carb jets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my 72 FJ40 1F up in Colorado, and it ran fine. Now I live in NC right near the ocean, and it runs very poorly. I am assuming that the jets need to be changed to sea-level. The carb is an Aisin. I read somewhere that the spare jets were shipped with the carb when it was new, so I opened the access bolts to the jets, but the sea-level jets were not stored in the space available; I guess some previous owner changed the jets and just kept or threw out the sea-level jets. I need to know what jets I need for sea-level, and where I can get them (well, and how much they cost). Thx.

I am assuming that the jets need to be changed to sea-level.
I'm wondering if just a thorough tune up with your best valve adjusting and timing and a lean drop procedure might fix some of your poor running.
How is it running poorly?
May we have some pics ? (Whole rig and then the carb?)

I agree with the direction Pighead is leading you. More often than not, the carburetor is the victim, not the culprit. I ALWAYS try to get customers to eliminate other variables before doing something like a jet change.

How is it running poorly?

So a couple of things .... When in CO, an intermittent electrical problem arised (headlights, brake lights, odometer lighting). I checked the forums here and started with checking fuses and fusebox wires, grounds, and wires rubbing against openings and body components. These lighting problems persisted as intermittent problems (never found the culprit). A problem with cranking over started about 3 months before moving to NC (the engine did not seem like it was receiving enough electricity to crank over so the battery was replaced along with spark plugs, wires, and cap/rotor).

I then moved to NC to a place with a garage that needs to be used for storage as well (my space has become very limited in there). On my first couple of attempts to fire up the FJ, the engine would just crank over with no start. A buddy told me about jumping the low voltage ballast resistor to get it started, so I jumped the resistor and it cranked over for a bit (3-4 seconds) and started up, yet seemed to take a lot longer to get a smooth idle with manipulating the choke as it did at altitude (CO). It would blow smoke (unburnt gas) for the first 15 seconds or so then go to a regular idle. The idle always seems a little frail (feels like it is just on the verge of not having enough ooomph to keep the engine going.

I have attached pics with my engine compartment and caruburetor.

I appreciate you all reading/looking at the posts/pics and any questions/comment/concerns you may raise.
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

I plan to go ahead with a tune up, valve/timing adjustment, lean drop procedure unless I hear something from you guys because of the posts/pics posted.

Original distributor?

Dwell angle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom