71 FJ40 Rear Drum Brake Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finished my knuckle/brake rebuild and starting on the backs. Is there an easy way to remove the backing plate? I would like to paint it up, etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but after reviewing the FSM, it looks as though I need to drain the differential, remove the pinion shaft, slide the axle/hub off, and then slide the backing plate off. Is there another way to remove the hub or backing plate?

20180219_135526.jpg

Finished my knuckle/brake rebuild and starting on the backs. Is there an easy way to remove the backing plate? I would like to paint it up, etc. Correct me if I am wrong, but after reviewing the FSM, it looks as though I need to drain the differential, remove the pinion shaft, slide the axle/hub off, and then slide the backing plate off. Is there another way to remove the hub or backing plate?

View attachment 1637242
Exactly how I did mine

Cutting torch;)?

contact "splitshot" here on MUD if you need 'new' rear drum brakes - he got a nice set from me several years ago

A little confusing to say " remove the pinion shaft", but we get it. After you remove the retain screw the cross shaft, pinion shaft, whatever will come out of carrier, the spacer block is removed allowing axle to be pushed in and C-clip removed, and then axle can be pulled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom