1984 BJ42 Rear Brake Drum Seized (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone give the bolt size that one would use to free the brake drum? Looks like my wheel cylinder leaked and I believe the brake lining swelled. This drum is really stuck. Any help and suggestions are truly appreciated.

Use a three jaw puller. It'll come off.

If you can, if not just bend it to clear the jaw.

When I brought mine home, it had been sitting for years and the rear drums were frozen solid. The tires slid on the trailer as the winch pulled it up. It took several hours of pulling and pounding with a 16-oz ball peen hammer to get them off; I would have used a 4-lb hammer, but I couldn't get it in position to swing it. They fought me until the last 1/4-inch, then they fell off.

Years ago I purchased a rear axle off an 82 FJ40. Before I could strip if off the springs and frame the owner parting the cruiser out just about gave me the frame and tub along with the home made trailer it was on. There was no wheels and brake drums were resting directly on the I-beams the trailer was made with. Those drums were rusted in place. Before using the jacking bolts as they were called in the HVAC field I hit the brake drums around the side with a larger hammer. Then used a pry bar on the lug nuts to get the drums to spin. Then with the two bolt in the face of the drum I put pressure on the end of the axle. Hit the drums again to let the drums move out with the shock from the hammer blows. This is the only late model 40 series axle I have done this with. Use a similar method on the early which do not have the thread holes. For those I use a very larger screwdriver prying between the drum and backing plate while I hit it in that area. If they aren't frozen adjust the brake shoes all the way in it also helpful, especially when the drum and a pretty good lip on the inside.

When I brought mine home, it had been sitting for years and the rear drums were frozen solid. The tires slid on the trailer as the winch pulled it up. It took several hours of pulling and pounding with a 16-oz ball peen hammer to get them off; I would have used a 4-lb hammer, but I couldn't get it in position to swing it. They fought me until the last 1/4-inch, then they fell off.

Sometimes you just need the right tool 👍👍👍

08C14870-183B-4869-A90E-E939739B98D6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom