70 Series 1PZ Transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive the question that has likely been answered but I am unable to find which transmission (and how many splines) is fitted to a 1993 70 series 5 cyl 1PZ.
Mine took a dump yesterday with some horrid noises on deceleration and an inability to downshift to second gear. This failure happened suddenly at low speed on a flat surface in second gear, a nasty noise that I thought was something caught in my tire.
Gearbox fluid is full, ugly black with lovely gold specks.
I need to source a new box here in Costa Rica or rebuild my current one. Is a rebuild hell to do and does it require special tools?

Thanks so much for any help.

-Sean

The transmission behind the 1PZ is the R151. It is also largely common with the R150 which was in some Tacomas. I just got done rebuilding one for my project, and it definitely requires the use of a press, and some bearing/gear separators.

Thanks a bunch JP. Are there any differences in splines or anything? I am looking at this box in Utah and thinking of having it shipped to Costa Rica. Toyota R151 Transmission $900
I flushed my current box and found a small chunk of metal that looked like a part of pin from a roller bearing. I filled the box back up with Amelie synthetic 75-90 ($) and now I have second gear back and the shifting is improved. There is some tranny noise when decelerating in second gear and I need to double clutch from 3-4 to make it smooth. It is working for the moment but I am living on borrowed time in a country with really limited mechanical talent.

The Rob Mullens TLC FAQ says its 19 spline, same as the 1KZ T

EDIT part numbers for the 1PZ and 1KZ input shaft are different. Sketch in diagrams also looks vastly different.
The input shaft on the 1PZ looks like the 2+1 piece one used on the 99- HZJ7*

Last edited:
There are multiple splines and input shafts for the R151F? This is seriously cryptic and makes me think twice about ordering a rebuilt unit, only to find that the splines don't match.
I might need to man-up and rebuild this thing in my kitchen. My wife is gonna be pissed...

Last edited:
The only issue that I know you have to watch out for is the input shaft length. The post 1995 R150s have a longer input shaft which would have to be switched.(I realized that one the hard way)

Also for the ones out of a Tacoma/4runner they used a different transfer case and adapter so you will have to swap over the one from you current transmission.

Sean, this is the transmission part number for a 1PZ R151 33030-60810 out of PZJ75
And this is the one for a 94 KZJ70 33030-6A100.
There may be other part numbers as well as they sometimes do minor upgrades during the build period.
Anyone selling rebuilds should be able to find the part number. If you don't recognise the number from the 2 I put up, try googling it. Most Toyota part numbers will come up with a pic/explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom