70 FJ40 - ignition question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for an ignition coil and plug wires for my '70 model FJ40. My question is can I use these parts from later model vehicles? Mine is pretty much all original now - I just want to buy something from a local shop and figure it may be easier if I could use something from a later model '40. Thanks.

as far as i know all wires will work have 79 wires on my 70 any 12 volt coil with a resister will work. you can use an ignighter if you remove the condenser and want to do the extra wiring good luck

Dealer should be able to get stock parts...

Thanks for the replies. I recently bought this cruiser - it has been sitting for 6 yrs. I'm starting to wonder if I should consider an engine swap to something newer to make my parts searches a bit easier. It doesn't seem worthwhile to keep pouring $$ into the original engine. I like the straight 6 - would you recommend I move to a 2F or is there a later model Toyota 6 that would drop in without major hassles? Thanks again.

Any of the chain auto parts stores can get the plug wires in a couple of days. They probably have the coil in stock(although you may have to get an external resistor if they can't pull up an internally resisted one). Is there something wrong with your original engine? I'm just trying to figure out why you are contemplating an engine swap due to $30 worth of ignition components that are readily available at any number of auto parts stores.

The engine has at least 260K on it - I'm assuming it's going to be tough to find parts for it as I continue to work to get it up and running reliably. Everything is stock on it aside from the MC, header and carb. I've started off by getting the fuel tank vatted, replaced the radiator and am planning to start the brake rebuild next week. I have some cash to throw at it. I'd rather spend some $$ to shortcut the process of getting it up and running good and reliably. It's not the coil issue - I'm just thinking bigger picture.

Parts for the F engine aren't going to be any harder to come by than parts for the rest of the truck. If your engine is on its last leg, you could just keep your eyes peeled for a good running F for sale. They can be anywhere from cheap to free if you are patient. If you get a good deal on a 2F, it's a pretty straightforward swap, but once again, for the most part, 2F parts aren't any easier/harder to come by than F parts.

I haven't seen much on the forum about swapping F or 2F's for other / newer Toyota motors. I'm not real interested in dropping a V8 in it. I'll keep poking around. Appreciate the feedback.

Forget the stock points and coil. Get a pertronix setup and never, ever, adjust points again. I installed mine several years ago and never have an issue with the ignition system. It will be the best $100+ you can spend. Mark's Offroad sells the setup.

I haven't seen much on the forum about swapping F or 2F's for other / newer Toyota motors. I'm not real interested in dropping a V8 in it. I'll keep poking around. Appreciate the feedback.

I put a 76 2f into my 72 when my F grenaded. It fit right in with no mods. If I recall correctly I even used the F flywheel and clutch. However, I am kicking my self because I put the alternator in the original location where it goes on the F, I should have moved the wiring and relocated it to where it belongs on the 2F. If you get a late enough 2F, one from after power steering was offered, there will be a place to mount a power steering pump that will simplify adding power steering. The 2F is great in my opinion, and I have no desire to go to a V8 personally.

Thanks for the heads up on the pertronix set up CF - right down my alley. Checked out your site - some good stuff up there.
I'll keep plowin ahead until I get the F fired up and will also keep an eye out for a good deal on a solid motor. Thanks for the 2F comments as well.

Forget the stock points and coil. Get a pertronix setup and never, ever, adjust points again. I installed mine several years ago and never have an issue with the ignition system. It will be the best $100+ you can spend. Mark's Offroad sells the setup.

x2
It's a :banana: job.

I read someplace here that you might need a higher output coil since the Pertronix isn't optimized for the dwell of a 6cyl. But mine works great right now and my points feeler-guages are just gathering dust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom