7” ROUND HEADLIGHT QUESTION (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased some 7” round headlights.
It has turn signals that are integrated into the halos.

I tapped into the existing OEM turn signals. But while the car is running, the turn signals start to work, then fade out to not working at all.

my question is, do I need to switch out the flasher relay to something a little bigger to support the added lights?

1B749EF6-680A-4AA2-BA01-82F5F8641439.png

I recently purchased some 7” round headlights.
It has turn signals that are integrated into the halos.

I tapped into the existing OEM turn signals. But while the car is running, the turn signals start to work, then fade out to not working at all.

my question is, do I need to switch out the flasher relay to something a little bigger to support the added lights?

View attachment 2541810
Yes try superbrightleds.com i think they sell the realys

Do you know which ones I will need?
Generally LED lights pull less wattage than halogens and your normal flasher relays cant sense the load so i would think that you would need the lower wattage relay, i would also look up the wattage specs on your lights to make the decision

Generally LED lights pull less wattage than halogens and your normal flasher relays cant sense the load so i would think that you would need the lower wattage relay, i would also look up the wattage specs on your lights to make the decision
Specifications:

• LED Power: 40W (High Beam: 40W, Low Beam: 30W)
  • Lumens: 9600 LM/Kit (High Beam) & 7200LM/Kit (Low Beam)
  • Operating Voltage: 9-30V DC

Specifications:

• LED Power: 40W (High Beam: 40W, Low Beam: 30W)
  • Lumens: 9600 LM/Kit (High Beam) & 7200LM/Kit (Low Beam)
  • Operating Voltage: 9-30V DC
Currently I found that I was running a 20 amp relay. Maybe thats the reason the blinkers are not working correctly.

Currently I found that I was running a 20W relay. Maybe thats the reason the blinkers are not working correctly.
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...that's it

If you look at the listing for the relay it says load resistor which is limiting the amp draw the relay senses is rated at 2.5 amps because of the low power use from the LEDS which have less current draw than halogens LED Light Load Resistor Kit - LED Turn Signal Hyper Flash & Warning Fix | Super Bright LEDs - https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/load-resistors/led-light-load-resistor-kit-led-turn-signal-hyper-flash-warning-fix/190/831/?make=77&model=1068&scc_id=1468&year=1978#tab/specifications

Found the issue. The OEM turn signal didnt have the screw to hold the metal pieces inside of is securely, so the plates were bouncing around creating a short. It seems to be working fine now.

Another issue is that the driver brake light stays lit as if the breaks were being applied, while the passenger side works correctly and dims back down when the pedal is not applied, as it should.

(Does anyone elses FJ make a "ticking" sound when the brakes are applied. Also, my brake light on the dash always comes on, when I am braking during driving the vehlice)

Reactions: D0g
Found the issue. The OEM turn signal didnt have the screw to hold the metal pieces inside of is securely, so the plates were bouncing around creating a short. It seems to be working fine now.

Another issue is that the driver brake light stays lit as if the breaks were being applied, while the passenger side works correctly and dims back down when the pedal is not applied, as it should.

(Does anyone elses FJ make a "ticking" sound when the brakes are applied. Also, my brake light on the dash always comes on, when I am braking during driving the vehlice)
If they are led then

I have the same issue with the dash light which is a mystery to me as well my advice is to check your grounds for corrosion and if your brake lights are led then you might need a ballast resistor glad your lights work they look badass

Definitely a ground issue, check the link in my signature line below for more information. Feel free to add to it also. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom