66 FJ40 VALUE?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Ky Hillbilly, Nov 9, 2018 at 11:39 AM.

1. Ky Hillbilly

Ky Hillbilly

Local car lot has a 1966 FJ40 for sale. 1F 3 speed on the column, aftermarket seats, very little rust, frame looks great. Wipers are missing, needs master cylinder and motor feels like its weak or missing. Has a Texas title and its green. Vin on frame and firewall match. Not my favorite color but its not bad, looks solid. I know should have taken pic. F.amiliar with the 2f , restored a 76 sold it, ( big mistake ). Thanks

2. SteveH

SteveH

If they are clueless, $2500. If they have half a clue, $4000. Weak motor and no brakes won't make it easy to sell to anyone but a committed cruiserhead. Go low - you can always add $$ if they reject your offer.

3. Ky Hillbilly

Ky Hillbilly

They know what it is, asking $18000, or best offer . Just not sold on the motor and 3 speed. They have my number so I expect a call.

4. oregon fj

oregon fj Rescuer of old vehicles... SILVER Star

The rest of the rig is going to need to be really nice to be worth that amount with bad brakes and a questionable motor. And it better be way original and unmodified, too.

5. Martyt

Martyt SILVER Star

If you don’t like the motor or the 3 speed then this is not the year for you no matter what condition the rig is in.

6. SteveH

SteveH

Yeah - for $18K, it had better glow. It will be primitive even by FJ40 standards. Think drum brakes, old-style doors, ball-and-claw axles, etc.

7. ferg

ferg

Should pass on it.

8. oregon fj

oregon fj Rescuer of old vehicles... SILVER Star

Can't say for certain w/o pictures, but my guess is that they have recently spent some time in one of the states where weed is legal...

Martyt, drnekFJ40 and redleg76 like this.
  9. scoutingranch

scoutingranch SILVER Star

First off.......it's a used car dealer. And most of us know that song and dance. They ask what they ask, but what they take is a different story. I like the older FJ and I don't care if they are slower with shift on the column. That's how they were made.
    But, in order to evaluate properly as the others have mentioned. Pictures please.

Martyt and S4Cruiser like this.
  10. Dizzy

Dizzy

Media:
    I'd give it a maybe.

But, I'd expect something like brake-work on any used vehicle, a tune-up with any carburetor-era motor. 'Rust' is kinda cliche because it can mean either no unreasonable rot, all the rot is properly repaired, or the rot is actually hidden. More technical information and photos are necessary. Some of the information is not, like, how deep are your pockets, and how much time resources can you going to allocate to it-old news for someone who has already done a resto.

11. Ky Hillbilly

Ky Hillbilly

I'll try to get some pics. There are some oddities about it for sure. The interior doors have been painted, I mean completely . Looks like they taped off the glass and instrument panel and gauges and sprayed it. I don't thing it's going anywhere fast.

12. Billsboat

Billsboat

I bought a 66 about a year ago here in Texas . From your description, it sounds like mine was in better shape and all original. What they are asking is about twice what I paid. U said u have had fjs in the past so u know where to look for the rust. Good luck!

13. daner

daner

I'm with everyone else, I won't guess without a few pics but, $18K sounds WAY out of the ballpark...unless it $18K in pesos.

Martyt likes this.
  14. Ky Hillbilly

Ky Hillbilly

15. Ky Hillbilly

Ky Hillbilly

16. Dizzy

Dizzy

Media:
    Body is highly questionable. Like no spare carrier, can't actually put the windshield down, etc. Unfortunately, FJ40s are still used cars. Prices of these things reflect rarity, not necessarily integrity.

17. Martyt

Martyt SILVER Star

Plus it looks like it is missing the engine:meh:

18. scoutingranch

scoutingranch SILVER Star

18K or anywhere near 18 is out of the question. But, since I'm a sucker for older FJ's it does deserve further inquiry.
    I do stock only so this is how I read this. Incorrect paint, wrong wheels, after market gauges installed in dash, incorrect seats and diamond plate steps. And that is just what I can see.
    Sooo, the dealer (shifty eyes and bad shoes) is throwing substance against the wall to see what sticks. I'm around the collector car world every week. I know my stuff

19. Ky Hillbilly

Ky Hillbilly

Lol thanks, the dealer said he was selling it for a friend.

20. archie73

archie73

Panels are pretty beat up for 18k and modifications.
    Rear door is missing pieces.
    Oddly enough the marine radio actual works. I usually don’t care for them in cars, but here I like it.
    I’m not a purist by any means, but at that price it should be either capable or closer to stock. I’ve got my eye on a 45 SWB, it’s bone stock with probable respray. The owner has been offered $17k. It’s probably close to the value of the p/u. $18k is way out of reach for this one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.