66 FJ40 VALUE? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Local car lot has a 1966 FJ40 for sale. 1F 3 speed on the column, aftermarket seats, very little rust, frame looks great. Wipers are missing, needs master cylinder and motor feels like its weak or missing. Has a Texas title and its green. Vin on frame and firewall match. Not my favorite color but its not bad, looks solid. I know should have taken pic. F.amiliar with the 2f , restored a 76 sold it, ( big mistake ). Thanks

If they are clueless, $2500. If they have half a clue, $4000. Weak motor and no brakes won't make it easy to sell to anyone but a committed cruiserhead. Go low - you can always add $$ if they reject your offer.

They know what it is, asking $18000, or best offer . Just not sold on the motor and 3 speed. They have my number so I expect a call.

The rest of the rig is going to need to be really nice to be worth that amount with bad brakes and a questionable motor. And it better be way original and unmodified, too.

If you don’t like the motor or the 3 speed then this is not the year for you no matter what condition the rig is in.

Yeah - for $18K, it had better glow. It will be primitive even by FJ40 standards. Think drum brakes, old-style doors, ball-and-claw axles, etc.

Should pass on it.

First off.......it's a used car dealer. And most of us know that song and dance. They ask what they ask, but what they take is a different story. I like the older FJ and I don't care if they are slower with shift on the column. That's how they were made.
But, in order to evaluate properly as the others have mentioned. Pictures please.

I'd give it a maybe.

But, I'd expect something like brake-work on any used vehicle, a tune-up with any carburetor-era motor. 'Rust' is kinda cliche because it can mean either no unreasonable rot, all the rot is properly repaired, or the rot is actually hidden. More technical information and photos are necessary. Some of the information is not, like, how deep are your pockets, and how much time resources can you going to allocate to it-old news for someone who has already done a resto.

I'll try to get some pics. There are some oddities about it for sure. The interior doors have been painted, I mean completely . Looks like they taped off the glass and instrument panel and gauges and sprayed it. I don't thing it's going anywhere fast.

I bought a 66 about a year ago here in Texas . From your description, it sounds like mine was in better shape and all original. What they are asking is about twice what I paid. U said u have had fjs in the past so u know where to look for the rust. Good luck!

I'm with everyone else, I won't guess without a few pics but, $18K sounds WAY out of the ballpark...unless it $18K in pesos.

66 fj40

IMG_20181110_130426909_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181110_130431713_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181110_130440739_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181110_130449337_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181110_130510719.jpg

Body is highly questionable. Like no spare carrier, can't actually put the windshield down, etc. Unfortunately, FJ40s are still used cars. Prices of these things reflect rarity, not necessarily integrity.

Plus it looks like it is missing the engine:meh:

18K or anywhere near 18 is out of the question. But, since I'm a sucker for older FJ's it does deserve further inquiry.
I do stock only so this is how I read this. Incorrect paint, wrong wheels, after market gauges installed in dash, incorrect seats and diamond plate steps. And that is just what I can see.
Sooo, the dealer (shifty eyes and bad shoes) is throwing substance against the wall to see what sticks. I'm around the collector car world every week. I know my stuff

Lol thanks, the dealer said he was selling it for a friend.

Panels are pretty beat up for 18k and modifications.
Rear door is missing pieces.
Oddly enough the marine radio actual works. I usually don’t care for them in cars, but here I like it.
I’m not a purist by any means, but at that price it should be either capable or closer to stock. I’ve got my eye on a 45 SWB, it’s bone stock with probable respray. The owner has been offered $17k. It’s probably close to the value of the p/u. $18k is way out of reach for this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom