63" chevy question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey out there, i will be swapping in some 63" chevy springs into my 91 pickup and have a small question. I plan to do the the double shackle setup, i already have 1.5" lift shackles and wanna know if that will work or should i just get some stock yota shackles to connect to the chevy ones? thanx all :)

Simple. Don't do double shackles.

Third.

I bought all of the bits from Trevor @ WFO to install mine.

Not sure why everyone is against the double shackle, going on 4 years running it and never had a single problem, I love it. I would do it all over again on my next rig in a heartbeat.

You say you are running a 1.5" lift shackle, so how long is the shackle itself? I have found that a stock chevy shackle on the frame connected to a 6" "standard" shackle, set up to pirate specs (11" forward of the stock spring hanger when replacing standard 48" long rear springs) works excellently. No inverting, no axle wrap, and by using a small IFS bumpstop, no "frame slam" between the shackle and the frame.

99% of the time, people who experience problems with double shackles did not set their shackle angle correctly, or did not mount their springs and shackle hangers properly. Like I said, in almost 4 years running 63s with a dual shackle, I have never inverted them or had any problems. In fact, it is one of the oldest mods on my 4runner that I have not gone back and redone. It just works too well to warrant messing with. Anyway, do not get discouraged, follow the Pirate FAQ and you will be as happy as I am.

Here are some pics from when I first did my 63s several years ago:

Maximum possible droop, without axles, tires, shocks, etc attached:

Picture051.jpg

Mocked up before welding per P4x4 specs:

Picture052.jpg

Done, on 4 wheels, shocks attached and full standard weight load:

closedshackle.jpg

Not sure why everyone is against the double shackle, going on 4 years running it and never had a single problem, I love it. I would do it all over again on my next rig in a heartbeat.

You say you are running a 1.5" lift shackle, so how long is the shackle itself? I have found that a stock chevy shackle on the frame connected to a 6" "standard" shackle, set up to pirate specs (11" forward of the stock spring hanger when replacing standard 48" long rear springs) works excellently. No inverting, no axle wrap, and by using a small IFS bumpstop, no "frame slam" between the shackle and the frame.

99% of the time, people who experience problems with double shackles did not set their shackle angle correctly, or did not mount their springs and shackle hangers properly. Like I said, in almost 4 years running 63s with a dual shackle, I have never inverted them or had any problems. In fact, it is one of the oldest mods on my 4runner that I have not gone back and redone. It just works too well to warrant messing with. Anyway, do not get discouraged, follow the Pirate FAQ and you will be as happy as I am.

Here are some pics from when I first did my 63s several years ago:

Maximum possible droop, without axles, tires, shocks, etc attached:

Mocked up before welding per P4x4 specs:

Done, on 4 wheels, shocks attached and full standard weight load:

If you do the trig correctly you can place the shackle locations in a manner that totally negate the necessity for a double shackle set up. My front shackles look to be about as long as your double shackle's are fully extended.

Double shackles are not a bad thing at all, its just that you can accomplish effectively the same thing with a single piece unit.

If you do the trig correctly you can place the shackle locations in a manner that totally negate the necessity for a double shackle set up. My front shackles look to be about as long as your double shackle's are fully extended.

Double shackles are not a bad thing at all, its just that you can accomplish effectively the same thing with a single piece unit.

How long of a shackle are you running?

my shackles are 7.5 inches long. Hey truck doctor, did u make ur offset shackles or can u buy them? also how does ur rear flex with the single shackles?

im running a 7.52" shackle center to center in the front of my truck, but remember that thats with a 47" leaf spring. 15% seems to be the optimal road handling/off road capable amount for a spring shackle system.

So with a 63" spring you could theoretically run a 9.45" shackle and keep your on road stability as long as you placed the mounts in the correct location.

lol not really trying to perpetuate a pissing contest, but... how long are your double shackles when extended?

(Insert tumble weed here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom