62 to strip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an opportunity to canabilize a 62 in decent running order, body-not so good. Would be interested in everyone's wish list of parts to enhance an 83 FJ60 for expedition travel?

- The whole top end of the FJ62's engine can be bolted onto the FJ60's block (along with a bunch of tinkering with the wiring) to get EFI, which gets you a decent increase in HP (around 150ish HP, versus 135ish stock) and a huge boost in torque (215 stock, up to around 270 ft/lbs if I remember correctly, for a more or less stock 3FE head/2F block). Better fuel economy, too, compared with the stock 2F (probably not as good as just swapping the whole 3FE though).

- The 4.11 gears in the FJ62 will let you have happy freeway RPMs with up to about a 35" tire, down to as small as about a 31 (but that gearing/tire combo is way towards the 'low-speed oriented' end of things)

Don't forget the 62 mirrors (much better than the goofy ones the 60s have) and the grab bar...

x2 on the axles and the head if its good.

I would also try and grab some of the mounting brackets for accessories off of the engine, the 62 has different brackets if you wanted to replace / relocate engine components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom