62 to strip

I have an opportunity to canabilize a 62 in decent running order, body-not so good. Would be interested in everyone's wish list of parts to enhance an 83 FJ60 for expedition travel?

- The whole top end of the FJ62's engine can be bolted onto the FJ60's block (along with a bunch of tinkering with the wiring) to get EFI, which gets you a decent increase in HP (around 150ish HP, versus 135ish stock) and a huge boost in torque (215 stock, up to around 270 ft/lbs if I remember correctly, for a more or less stock 3FE head/2F block). Better fuel economy, too, compared with the stock 2F (probably not as good as just swapping the whole 3FE though).

- The 4.11 gears in the FJ62 will let you have happy freeway RPMs with up to about a 35" tire, down to as small as about a 31 (but that gearing/tire combo is way towards the 'low-speed oriented' end of things)

x2 on the axles and the head if its good.

I would also try and grab some of the mounting brackets for accessories off of the engine, the 62 has different brackets if you wanted to replace / relocate engine components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom