62 front heater fan not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife let me know that the heater in her DD FJ62 is not working. So I checked it out and the front heater fan is not working. The rear/console fan is still working so I assume it's not the fuse.
I checked the voltage at the fan motor under the dash on the passenger side and it came up with 11.8v with the key on but the engine not running.

Do I have a bad motor or is there something else i should check?

Here is a pic of where I tested the voltage
image-295372230.jpg

I love it just the answer i was looking for thanks! I don't have any money eitherAre they similar to alternator brushes? I have a set of those

Try giving the motor a few good "taps" with a mag light with the truck runing and the switch on high. (and the wires pluged in) It worked for me 3 years a go and has not stoped yet. I live 60 miles from canada in ND. so it gets used a lot up here.

Not sure from your description but you may have a 1 min fix.

If it's only your heater fan this won't help you, but if you have no air from the vents when you switch it to fan (heat or a/c) there is a circut breaker that you can reset w/toothpick.

Iirc the c/b is in the right side of the fuse box by your left knee. It may be on the firewall by your clutch pedal, but I think it's in the fuse box area.

John

Edit: This is on my 60, but likely the same for 62.

Try replacing the relay behind the fuse panel before you buy a blower motor. I had the same issue last winter and ended up replacing the relay and it worked fine for a while until the blower motor finally died. I picked up a used one at cruiserparts for a decent price. Easy to install.

So I maybe wrong but if I'm getting voltage to the motor doesn't that mean that everything upstream is ok?

Either way I salvaged some new/used brushes from my old orbital wax polisher and stuffed them in. 20 min fix and it works! Literally so much easier than I had thought. So easy I forgot to take pics

Last edited:
Just for others when I replaced mine I went to the local alt and starter repair shop and got 4 brushes for $2. I had to take a file to them just slightly to get them to fit perfectly. Cleaned up everything and re oiled the bushings with some air tool oil and it has never worked better. Fix the brushes before they ruin the shaft they they ride on.

I know this is an ancient thread but the suggestion of tapping blower with whatever quite lightly fired it right up. Probably worth digging into brushes eventually but for now brilliant solution if somewhat temporary. Thanks to Millhouse above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom