Guages not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my gauges have been an issue for several years....(1984 HJ60). It used to be that the key cylinder needed to be sort of wiggled or partially turned to get the gauges to work, but a few weeks ago the gauges were working, then stopped working - the wiggle no longer works. I am naturally 1,000 miles away in a dystopian armageddon (called southern California I'm told), so I can't mess around with it right now until I get back. Is there a common problem on the HJ60's gauges? Is there a "usual suspect" when the gauges become intermittent? The green wire always comes loose or something like that??? Is there a ground wire that I should look for?

Did all of the gauges quit or just a subset? Its not hard to pull the instrument cluster out and check the connections at the back - if multiple gauges are having a problem I’d start with the wiring harness connections.

Did all of the gauges quit or just a subset? Its not hard to pull the instrument cluster out and check the connections at the back - if multiple gauges are having a problem I’d start with the wiring harness connections.
As far as I understand it......my girlfriend is telling me about it.......they are ALL not working currently. I'm dying to look at it myself, but this work crap is screwing with my schedule.

As far as I understand it......my girlfriend is telling me about it.......they are ALL not working currently. I'm dying to look at it myself, but this work crap is screwing with my schedule.
I’m not an expert on differences between the HJ and FJ in terms of the wiring harness and instrument cluster but generally the speedometer is driven separately from the other gauges via a cable and spedo gear, so it’s surprising that there’s a complete outage in the cluster. If the HJ cluster is like the FJ, it would take about 5 minutes to undo the handful of screws and look at the connections to the harness.

Last edited:
I’m not an expert on differences between the HJ and FJ in terms of the wiring harness and instrument cluster but generally the speedometer is driven separately from the other gauges via a cable and spedo gear, so it’s surprising that there’s a complete outage in the cluster. If the HJ cluster is like the FJ, it would take about 5 minutes to undo the handful of screws and look at the connections to the harness.
True, the speedo should be run by a cable. I'll have to check with her today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom