60s vs 80s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thorvald

Threads
Website
www.pointyhatdesigns.com
i know a few of you have had 60's before or still and just curious on how you feel they compare to 80's. am leaning towards getting a 60 thats for sale in town for around 3 grand
thats in pretty decent shape, going to need some gaskets and seals replaced. liked the way it drove in the test drive. just wondering if down the road might regret it. going to buy it to eventually replace my nissan pickup, which is a bit crowded with me, my wife and daughter, actually after driving the cruiser it feels crowded with just me. it doesnt feel quite as solid as the 80, but it still seems pretty tough. it will make three cruisers. any thoughts?

I have both, and honestly the 80 is head and shoulders above the 60 in every way. The problem is you will never find a decent 80 series for $3000. I like the 60 alot, and in fact I have been using it as a daily driver to keep the miles off my 80. The 80 is smooth, comfortable, powerful (for a Land Cruiser) and you can drive all day at 80 mph. The 60 is a rugged beast, tops out at 65 mph or so and has only half the suspension articulation of the 80. If you have an FJ-40, the 60 is more like that, than it is like the 80. If you have the cash, buy an 80, but for $3000 it's hard to go wrong.

I had an early 80's diesel 60 that was great for its intended purpose while I lived in the Arctic, but it is entirely different than an 80.  The truck had a number of great points: very rugged, simple engine, diesel was great for fording, ~900km range  :D, manual locking hubs, lots of space (I think the rear may be bigger than the 80), lots of room to lie down with the second seats folded.

That being said - it drove like a real TRUCK - you feel every bump and grind.  It was slow as hell which was generally fine for puttering around town, on trails and on dirt road, but made for long trips to the nearest major city (16 hours and one memorable 3 day trip to Vancouver).  Finally it was funky in the reto way that is way cool now (all that brown and lots of cubism!)  :banana:  The steering was really sloppy, but that was probably not its fault and I couldn't afford to do a major upgrade.

The 80, while still having a similar look and feel to some extent (the second I got in one I could tell that it was a Land Cruiser), is completely different.  Lots of power (97), lots of creature comforts (nice seats, CD player, sun roof), better interior finish, etc and more suitable for a mixed daily drive and off road rig and likely safer (air bags, 3 point belts, higher head rests, etc)

Bottom line?  I love both and have plans to buy a BJ60 again, but not for long distance use.  To her credit, my wife loved the 60 and was instramental in demanding that we get an 80 (what a lovely woman) - she likes the look and feel and loves the safety feature for our two kids.

Go buy it!

Cheers, Hugh

Initial cost is one thing. However if you want to have lockers and run 33 or bigger tires and want to off-road it, then you are in for about that same money.

Modification cost on the 60 is a lot more. OME lift is about $1700 vs $700, you have to regear for 33's otherwise it is a dog, lockers etc etc.

If you want a $3k truck and drive it as is, then it is a good deal, but not to set up. If you realy want a 60/62, then you can probably find a pretty good built one somewhere for not much more. Lots of people are selling them to upgrade and are taking losses on the mods they did.

Had a 60 back between 1986 and 1992. Racked up almosr 190k. Needed an engine overhaul because it was leaking from every gasket. Sold it to get a new Camry. Reqretted that ever since. The one pesky issue with them is the carb cooling fan. It is switched by the temp of the exhaust manifold and this short wire even though protected burns out and without the fan the truck will hardly start when hot.

I love my 60(and 62) I bought it 5 years after I got my 80. Yes they are different rigs and I agree with most the above coments. But IMOP the 60 has much more of a clasic look. ALso makes a nice complement to an 80 or a 40 or a 55 or a :)

Best years of the 60 are late 85-87.

65mph tops in a 60......is pure BS! mine will cruise at 70 allday and hits 80mph often.

My 60 is OME'd, ARB'd 4.10(rear 80's gears fit front and rear of a 60) ARB bar and 33's, and just turned 100k. I love it, wouldn't part with it.

the only fj40's that drive like a 60 are 81+, early 40's are nothing like a 60(as far as how they drive) Whoops I re-read and yes and yes a 60 is more like an 40 than an 80.....sorry.

Stock 80 vrs stock 60, the 80 will out wheel it all day long.

John H

would there be much problem selling it down the line do you think? not planning on it, but if we did decide we wanted another 80 instead. the 60 will probably be my wifes' truck, she likes the stick. so it probably wont go offroad too much anyways. got a 40 also for offroad.
it should be more capable stock than a nissan hardbody pickup should it not? my truck is stock other than a body lift that the po put on it. im thinking the only positive id be losing is the gas mileage. it can go 75 but hardly, and not uphill with a 4banger.

Thor:

I'd think a little bit about its intended usage before you take the plunge. I would love to have a 60 just 'to have' as I think they are great trucks. However, that being said, if this is going to be your wife's DD, then you may want to make sure this is the right tool for the job. As with all Cruisers, I found that I had a love-hate relationship with it. Little things would go and I always seemed to be spending a few hundred here and there.

These trucks are starting to get old (last one would have been 88 or 89). They have lots of life, but you may also be better off spending the $ on something slightly newer. I love my 80, but I still drive my Jetta to work most days :eek:

Cheers, Hugh

I have all three models and LOVE them all. They are all very different. The 97 is luxury and like all the others said, it will outwheel a 60 stock all day. My 60 is a slow moving chunk of blue steel...god I love it. I drive it more then any of my other cruisers. I like a stick vs. auto. I paid too much for it 2 years ago, but at the time (just had another child) we needed a bigger vehicle...PRONTO. I changed the oil in it (145k) and drove it from top of WA to Southern California and back within a 10 day period in the dead of summer. Didn't skip a beat.

Like John said, I will never part with it. If I had a choice I would take the 80 over the 60 but for 3 grand...it's a good buy. It will probably need alot of little things like any older cruiser, but that is part of the fun of owning these classics. :G

Good luck

Scott

I agree with Hugh. I loved my 60, but they don't make the best daily drivers. They are excellent camping rigs as the interior is cavernous (even bigger than an 80), but the mileage and cost of maintenance make them poor for daily commuting.

I don't think you'd regret buying the rig, but go in with your eyes open WRT what it will take to get it in good running shape.

I have to agree with everyone else. I love my 60. Bought it for $2500 and drove it from Newport, RI to San Diego in 3.5 days with zero problems. And yes, i did see 80+ mph indicated on some down hill stretches of highway :givemebeer: I have OMEs which definitely make it a little stiffer. I love the looks and primarily use it to go surfing and drive my short commute to work <10 mins. However, my brother just got an '97 fzj80 collectors edition and I'm now hooked on the 80s. That things is unbelieveable and makes a much better daily driver here is Socal. Once my 60 passes on, I will definitely be getting an 80 and hopefully a 40 eventually too. But I will always have a soft spot for the my first 60.

If $ is a problem, get a 60 as it is easier to work on and cheaper too. I just sold the 87fj60 $6000. It could run 80+mph fully(over) loaded. The wife got a 94 FZJ80 and in some ways it is 'more better' and in others it is NOT. I was going to add EFI,16" wheels, lockers etc to the 60. With that costing $3000 to $4000 I was better off stealing the 80 from the wife. The 80 is a $$$ pit and many times harder to work on but worth it.
kurt

well, I went ahead and bought it yesterday. they were asking 3450, got it for 2950, seemed like a good price. It was the first cruiser I didnt have to drive 6 hours to get.
so now we have an 80, 60 and 40. just have to get the 40 and 60 in decent shape so i can sell our nissan truck.
best thing is when I showed the ad to my wife earlier in the week and said we should trade the truck in for it she said lets do it. Have a feeling im going to have to be working on it instead of the 40 though :D oh well
ill get a pic sometime. thanks for all your input

Congrats on the 60. I too will go along with everyone, I loved my 60. One thing people did not mention is the classic design of the 60. I love my 80 but there is something about the look of a 60 that is timeless. BTW, how did you get your wife to go along with the stable of cruisers?

the other day she said I brainwashed her
not quite sure what she meant :D
somehow shes come to love the way they look and drive
got lucky in that respect i guess
she made a comment about the 60 that I like, which is that she doesnt feel like driving as fast in it (sometimes her driving scares me) :eek:

I have had both an '83 FJ60 and a '92 FJ80 for the past 1 1/2 years and I am thinking of selling the '80. Bottom line is that while the '80 is much nicer, the '60 is more fun to drive and is the cruiser I take when I go canoing or take the dog and kids with me. I only use the '80 for commuting to work and driving around town because it's so nice.

Kurt,
You sold that beautiful rig!? And *after* the oil filter leak was fixed?

You're going to kick yourself. :nono:
-B-

I only use the '80 for commuting to work and driving around town because it's so nice.

That's the problem. Go wheel that Beoich and you'll never drive the 60 again. :D

That being said, if this guy that wants to buy my 62 doesn't hurry up and take it, I'm gonna chop and bob it so I can have something I can break and still make it home, after I spend the rest of the trip wheeling my tow rig that is.

I got my woman to buy off of the cruiser thing by buying a 60. She liked it so much she really wanted me to buy an 80 series. Well twist my arm, 3 cruisers...sure honey whatever you want :G

Now I am keeping my eye out for a 55 because she thinks they are "cute". Hey, who am I to argue. She doesn't even drive her 97 trans am anymore. I had to move it off the neighbors lawn yesterday so I could mow it. It's a 40k lawn ornament at this point. Fun car but I would rather drive my cruisers...and so would she. God I love her :wave:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom