60k service/ rookie hello (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I Just wanted to say hello :flipoff2: and thanks for all of the great info on this forum! I feel that I have made a good purchase of a 1997 lx 450 ,71000 miles , fr and rr lockers, based on the posts that i have read here.
I Drove the truck for 40 miles or so on the couple of test drives I took, crawled underneath to check for leaks , dings and other signs of abuse and neglect.
To allow for slippage, I took the truck to a gravel parking lot to test the 3 locking diffs. I dug up all of the previous maint. records I could find by contacting lexus and toyota dealers. I paid 19k.
The truck is due for a 60k service and wheel bearing repack. No history what so ever of this ever being done. I am also getting an engine flush and replacing dino with synth.
The entire 60k, wheel bearing repack, engine flush, replace with synth will be around 1000.00.
I asked the dealer if I could watch them perform this service and he said it would be ok. Is that kind of anal? Has anyone ever watched the mechanic service their truck before?. I am looking at it like a one day maintenance seminar so that I can learn how to do some of the maintenance my self, like repacking the wheel bearings and birfs, chassis lube , diff oil change and brake pad replacement. I am going to take some digital photos of the process. Is there any part of the 60k service that anyone would like me to try to photograph?
I will do some moderate wheeling with this rig mostly highway miles say 90%. Some beach driving and logging trails. My next task is to improve break over and departure angles.
I know most folks here like the OME lifts and I tried to search through old posts to find out how the soft 2.5 inch lift rides compared to lexus stock ride, but I had no luck finding any info. Does anyone here have OME 2.5 lift and how does it compare with stock ride comfort.
My wife is hesitant about getting any mods done since we did her 94 4 runner rear end. ( Long story short-2nd gen 4 runner had notorious rear end sag and we got heavy duty springs to correct . The ride was harsh but it looked ohhh so cool.) 8)
I will also look into getting 33's at that time. This seems like the most practical all around set up for my purposes. Also will correct speedo with new gear. Any body do anykind of wheeling like i mentioned?
Thanks for imparting your knowledge and wisdom. :cheers:

I thought the front axle service was the bearing repack and birf repack, the diff oil drain and refill and lube steering components?

Thanks for the heads up Landtank,as far as I know the front axle service will be covered under 60k and wheel bearing service.
Does the front axle service include wheel bearing repack and birf repack, front diff drain and refill , replace any seals damaged or worn and lube steering components?
If that is the front axle service then I will have all that work done.

9780, Welcome aboard, Hate to break it to ya but like Landtank said, a Birfield repack alone done by a dealer runs around $1200. Now you say you've been lingering around here for a while, so you know a smartshopper can the parts for a birf repack for less than $200. Throw in a factory service manual a couple specialty tools (if u don't already have them) , some fluids, lots of rags and one weekend and now it's only about $350. I'm gonna be tackling this soon myself and believe me , I've never even changed brake pads, but with the knowledge base you have here along with an fsm, even a novice like me can do it. :) YOU CAN DO IT BRO :beer:

Vince

OOPS, Forgot to mention, Toyota does not consider the birf repack "standard maintenance" .They will tell you it looks fine and does not not need service til it breaks. I personally don't like that approach. I drive my cruiser just like you it sounds , 90% onroad 10% off , sure if I don't maintain the birf it may last til 150,000 . Or it just may decide to grenade when I'm 75 miles up into the Blue mountains grouse hunting with my 4 yr old son. Pretty easy choice for me.

Vince

Hmm, not to be a PITA, but unless you're BMT...that Avatar ain't your rig....I should know, I took the pic! Thus, welcome rookie... :flipoff2:

Just get the OME 850/863 N73/N74 lift, do the birfs...they're not that hard, and wheel your junk!

-H-

Welcome fellow rookie. :flipoff2: There, I got to do the official ceremony too. :D

Rolly

Welcome :cheers:

Listen to the board and wheel your rig after you checked everything and put some mods. :D

Mike

Welcome aboard 9780 :cheers:

Sounds like a nice truck you picked up. I have a few similarities with yourself, namely:

- Used to have a Toyota with leaf springs that I had beefed up in the rear.
- And almost got sucked into thinking the dealer front axle service included the birfs.

On the lift topic - I had a BJ60 cruiser with an added leaf. The rig rode real hard. I think you and your wife will be surprised how your LX450 will ride with the OME suspension. I got the 851/860 set from Slee but it's not on yet so I can't comment on first hand. But I'm sure that you won't have the harsh ride problems like you did on a leaf suspension.

On the front axle service - Don't have the service done unless you discuss EXACTLY what they are going to do. ASK THEM will they pull the birfields and replace seals and replace knuckle bearings ect... As others have said the price you have been quoted is too low for all that service. I bet in the end you won't be happy if you have the work done and they don't do the birfs. I say this because all that front wheel bearing work will be for nothing and will need to be repeated when doing the birfs.

The guys on this board convinced me to do mine myself. I spent about $300 US in tools but now I'm set to do lot's of stuff.

Take your time and read all the old posts on this subject (plus the tech section). There's no real hurry to get this done today, spend a few weeks researching before jumping into paying somebody to do this OR DIY.

If you decide to have the dealer do it, read the thread I started on "requirements for front axle service" which was my list to give to the dealer on the birf service. At a minimum discussing it with the dealer will clarify that the birfs are going to get done.

Worth noting to the dealer is to replace the knuckle bearings. This should be done and again clarifies that you really mean birfields and not just wheel bearings.

Do lot's of reading, it's all here.

Riley

An offical welcome. :flipoff2:

Skip the engine flush, that is snake oil. Do flush the cooling system though.

H-, I don't think the Avitar is totally his fault, the Gummer mentioned in another thread that at lesat some of our personal avitars are in a "list" that can be picked from. It appears that they are the ones hosted here.

D-

Hmmmmm, I see you pinched mine :flipoff2:

NOBODY gets to push the Global Destruct button!!! That's MINE and I don't share.

-B-

Welcome. Like others, I agree the dealer is not gonna do a proper axle service for that price. You're getting charged $400 for the "60K service", $200 for the bearing repacks, and the synthetic surcharge is probably $100, and the "flush" (snicker) is probably $200. This leaves $100 for the "axle service".

Unlike the others, I don't think you should discuss what will be done on the front axle service. That's how problems occur. Have them WRITE IT DOWN on the work order, and a complete axle service requires them to remove the front axle shaft and replace the inner axle seal. They'll act surprised, and then quote you the normal $600 per side for the axle service. It should also include removal of the knuckle bearings and their races and replacement and I'd want them to keep ALL parts in a box for me to pick up (don't listen to their nonsense that they keep parts due to core charges, etc - malarky) so I can SEE that they put the new inner seal and bearings/races in.

If you merely discuss it, they'll do whatever THEY think is a front axle service. You've already proven they don't know how to work on an 80, so consider this in your decision whether or not to do it yourself..

Doug

Good points Doug. I stand corrected. In the end it ends up being easier to DIY.

welcome and ditto on what everyone has said about birfields. The preventative maintenance front cv/birfield repack is a unique issue for these trucks because, unlike 60's, they are fulltime four wheel drive and so the front cv's are working all the time. Basically, you can't replenish the grease in the CV without tearing the whole axle apart, and eventually the grease gradually weeps out through the felt knuckle wiper seals, or else the inner axle seal fails and diff oil leaks into the axle and ruins your grease. I have heard a Toyota dealer mechanic specializing in landcruisers tell me it is not necessary. He is right for a 60 or a 40 but wrong for an 80..

-do the 60k service fairly soon, although at 71k you may have some time. My CV grenaded at 122k 3 weeks after a mechanic said a repack was not necessary and "serviced" the axles by adding grease through the knuckle plug (useless).

-diy the birfields if at all possible. I've done it now and it is not as bad as it sounds but labour intensive.

-if you pay someone to do it, write down your instructions and get the parts listed afterwards. If the mechanic does not like that, find another mechanic. Despite my talking to the mechanic who did both sides on mine after one grenaded, and giving explicit verbal instructions courtesy of this board about what to do, he actually did "what he thought" was needed and I've never been able to get a straight answer as to what that was (I have confirmed he did not replace certain parts I asked him to do).

Simon - you should add that because of the lack of info from said mechanic, you're doing it again yourself to get it done right (hopefully).

What great info you've all given me.
I think I will buy the needed parts and tools for this birfield repack and attempt it myself. I have seen a couple of instructional web sites that detail this procedure. Does the fsm have a detailed instruction with pictures also?
The one website I saw this done on had the guy using a small 5lb sledge hammer to break free cone bearings. That kind of scared me. But I don't know how it is done.
When I get the dealer to repack the wheel bearings I will see how they get the dust cover off.
I know I am being robbed at the dealer but it will be a learning experience for me to see how to perform these tasks myself.

Thanks again

Don't go to the dealer and piss that money away because everything they will do has to be redone when you service the axle. I would suggest getting aquainted with another cruiser owner in you area and sponser a birfield repacking party. Offer up some food and brew and have them around to offer help, advice and moral support, but get your hands dirty. You will end of with some new friends you can go wheeling with, drink beer, tell lies and have some fun with. At the dealer you will learn squat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom