60k service/ rookie hello (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

".....drink beer, tell lies and have some fun with."

Have you been peeking at our club meetings? ;)

"At the dealer you will learn squat."

:'(

"At the dealer you will learn squat."

I was speaking in reference to the service garage safety policy/insurance concerns and not getting into the mechanics way. Time is well spent hanging around the parts manager!

I'll concurr with the diy front end repack, especially if you can get a couple local guys to help out. The phrase I like for the job is the "right of passage" for all cruiser owners, once you do your own repack you'll be very familiar with how your brakes work, how your wheel bearings go on, and how the power gets from your diff to your tires, that's all good stuff to know and could pay off huge for you on the trail some day.

Your best move today is to ask C-Dan how to become a smart shopper, and get your FSM, axle seals, & bearings on order. And keep searching, like Riley said it's all in here. You should find the answer to your CDL switch question in here too, and in the mean time don't forget to also read through http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/tech/technical.html and http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_interior_main.htm

>> I have seen a couple of instructional web sites that detail this procedure. <<

One of the better write ups was done by Jim Phillips who was a regular on this board until recently. Jim had some mechanical knowledge but I think he will agree that he was a little rusty and had done no prior work on his FZJ80. He asked a lot of questions, took good notes, read all the write-ups and did the job at home.

Jim's birfield repack write up is in the Tech section here on ih8mud.

-B-

Has anybody used these? They are axle stud cone pliers from OTC. The cost is less than $30. I'm wondering how well they work.

Rich

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=7372;start=msg62445#msg62445 date=1068688696]
Has anybody used these? They are axle stud cone pliers from OTC. The cost is less than $30. I'm wondering how well they work.

Rich
[/quote]

I'd save my money and invest in a quality brass hammer. It does the trick every time.
N

I am with nick on this one. plus any excuse to buy a bigger speicalty hammer is cool with me
Dave
with only aobut 15 different types of hammers in his tool box.

[quote author=Rich link=board=2;threadid=7372;start=msg62445#msg62445 date=1068688696]

Rich
[/quote]

I have used those with semi hubs. That's what they are for. I think they would be about useless with the tiny cones on an 80 hub. Bash it with a BFBH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom