60 to 62 hybrid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys and Gals,

Has anyone done any swapping of 62 stuff into a 60? I was thinking (stupidly) of finding a decent 62 to donate things like, doors with power window regulators and lock solenoids and power mirrors into my '87. As well as any other stuff of the 62 I like better. Sure it will be a pain in the arsh but just wondering.

Lots of this is doable. Also add power antenna, power mirrors, intermittend rear wiper, rear seats w/headrests, rear shoulderbelts (sometimes) 4.11 thirds, etc...

fj60 to jf62 swaps.

I thought about doing this a few years ago when i saw a gently rolled running fj62 for $1000.

It can be done but I think you would need to swap in some of the wiring harness. You could replace your entire 60 harness with the 62 harness. You may be able to splice the parts you want in to your 60 harness, or make a new separate stand alone harness with the new parts you want like electric windows and mirrors.

I do not know if the doors are different. If you can put the motors in the fj60 doors let me know, but you may need the whole fj62 doors.

(does anyone know if fj62 window motors are the same as fj80 motors?)

I would like the fj62 mirrors, even if they were not hooked up to any electrics. (I would love heated mirrors in Alaska but I do not know if they were heated).

I decided to bag this idea because it is just more things to go wrong. Most fj62's that I have seen have weak window motors.
Who needs an intermittent rear window wiper? You just turn it on for a second and if it works great, then turn it off.
The electric motor antenna is great if it works, if your antenna is not bent, and if you remember to lower it before you go to the car wash, or tree wash and break it off.

But I have to admit, at least having the passenger side window electric would be nice, and the mirrors would be nice too.

To keep it simple it would probably be pretty easy to wire in the front two window motors. I would probably still do the front two this if i could find the parts I need for a steel. (portion of wire harness to window motor, portion of wire harness to mirror, window motor, and complete door assembly?) You could wire up the other end to your own separate fuses and switches and make it a stand alone separate harness.

Good luck,
let me know what you find out and how it works.
meigsrock

Not sure about the doors, but I know I had to weld in a solenoid mount to use a 60 hatch on my 62. It only took a few minutes to fab up and weld in, but the spot welds ruin the paint on the otherside.

A lot of this can be done with aftermarket stuff that would probably be better than 17 year old Toyota parts.

SBFJ60FIG said:
Hey Guys and Gals,

Has anyone done any swapping of 62 stuff into a 60? I was thinking (stupidly) of finding a decent 62 to donate things like, doors with power window regulators and lock solenoids and power mirrors into my '87. As well as any other stuff of the 62 I like better. Sure it will be a pain in the arsh but just wondering.
Erin Heard did exactly that to his old FJ60. Swapped in power windows, power door locks, rear seats w/ headrests, dash grab handle, power antenna from a FJ62 w/ same color interior. Looked stock, worked good.

Last I heard, Erin lives in Oz now, so he's prolly not on this board to answer questions.

SBFJ60FIG said:
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am thinking of going the other way. I have an FJ-62 and I have been thinking about swapping FJ-60 doors and mirrors and grill in.

Where are you? Do you want to swap?

I am in So Cal.

Andrew

Seems we all want what others got.

I wanted to ditch my 62 for a 60 b/c I wanted a carb, round headlights, and an easier convert to a 5 speed, but really prefer the interior of a 62 over a 60. In the end I decided to keep my 62(for other reasons), however, really wouldn't mind ditching the power windows and converting to early fj62 manual windows and door panels.
Careful what you wish for....fj62 power windows and switches can get troublesome as they age. Seems most the problems are in the master switch panel and the window tracks age and bind the glass.
Lots of pros and cons to both 60's and 62's.....at least both are relatively easy to hybrid-ate....just depends on what you want...

....to spend.

meigsrock said:
Who needs an intermittent rear window wiper? You just turn it on for a second and if it works great, then turn it off.

I do. Three lanes of heavy traffic, steady rain, darkness, trucks, many drivers who are going too fast - the additional visibility out the rear is a real help. Manually turning the wiper on and off as needed is doable, and I do it, but it's a distraction. In these circumstances, I'm not looking for another distraction.

I have an FJ60 with some stuff from a 62: engine, wiring, fuel system, front axle housing, differentials, grab bar, and maybe a few other little items.

FJ60 + FJ62 = mix and match until you have your desired 60 series.

I think I am going to be doing this here in a few months, I have found the Donor 62 for the swap now i just have to get it home and start the tear down.

Ill do a write up on it while im doing it, maybe.

lunyou

Are the doors interchangable??? I want to use my 60 doors in a 62 body without rust....I can buy the body without doors and swap all my doors off my truck prior to dumping it...

Godwin said:
I have an FJ60 with some stuff from a 62: engine, wiring, fuel system, front axle housing, differentials, grab bar, and maybe a few other little items.

FJ60 + FJ62 = mix and match until you have your desired 60 series.

Jim how do you like that 3FE in the 60? Are you running the 4 or 5sp?

I would love to have 62 mirrors, rear seatbelts, a 2FE or 3FE in my 60 with an H55... I may start thinking about this again!

I did this swap about 7-8 years ago and have put at least 150K miles on it. The 60 is set up with the 3FE, H42 (but a 5 speed would be nice), 4.11's, and 33's. Overall I like it. Compared to the 2F the 3FE gets the FJ60 moving quicker and on the road, once the engine is spinning well, you have the ability to zip through traffic better. The difference between the 2F and 3FE torque curves is noticeable. The 3FE, from a stop, will get the Cruiser moving quite well, but at times the lack of low-end torque is apparent and the engine will tend to bog. This doesn't happen with a 2F.

Cold start stumbling is a thing of the past. I've seen no mileage improvement; the 2F and 3FE each deliver about 15 +/- mpg.

This Cruiser is perhaps as much FJ62 as 60. The body and frame are the original FJ60 as is the interior, but the engine, wiring harness, fuel system are FJ62. I swapped the front FJ62 axle under and the rear diff.

Godwin said:
I did this swap about 7-8 years ago and have put at least 150K miles on it. The 60 is set up with the 3FE, H42 (but a 5 speed would be nice), 4.11's, and 33's. Overall I like it. Compared to the 2F the 3FE gets the FJ60 moving quicker and on the road, once the engine is spinning well, you have the ability to zip through traffic better. The difference between the 2F and 3FE torque curves is noticeable. The 3FE, from a stop, will get the Cruiser moving quite well, but at times the lack of low-end torque is apparent and the engine will tend to bog. This doesn't happen with a 2F.

Cold start stumbling is a thing of the past. I've seen no mileage improvement; the 2F and 3FE each deliver about 15 +/- mpg.

This Cruiser is perhaps as much FJ62 as 60. The body and frame are the original FJ60 as is the interior, but the engine, wiring harness, fuel system are FJ62. I swapped the front FJ62 axle under and the rear diff.

Jim,

That is some good info, thanks. I didn't realize you had so many miles on your conversation. Do you think the H55 would help the off-the-line performance? Maybe a Toybox for those offroad situations that really require it?

On the road the H42 works just fine. 1st gear is not too high with off-the-line performance, in fact in many cases the lower 1st of the H55F could be a little too low. If you live in a really hilly area H55F 1st could be useful. Now for off-road performance the lower gears would be a benefit. With this Cruiser and where it's used I've never had a real need for much lower gears, at least not to the point of spending any $$. Can't really comment on the Toybox.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom