60 series 6-1/2 Speaker upgrade + quarter panel sub & amp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I first want to thank Cam2Ski for his original post that he did on his 60 series Sub setup, as it was the inspiration for me doing mine. and the fact that the stock radio wasn't cutting it for me

Parts list:

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X174 6-1/2" 2-Way Speakers​

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X134 Excelon Series 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers​

Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1200F 12" subwoofer​

Kenwood Excelon X802-5 X Series 5-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms​

Boss BE10ACP-C apple car-play head unit​

a 145 amp high output alternator to power everything

XS Power BIG3XP 250-amp Big 3 wiring upgrade kit to handle the power​

2 colors of wood stain and a clear
5 -1/4 speaker spacers about 1&1/2 thick
3 planes of 1/2" Baltic birch wood
a good amount of speaker wire
a 16 foot 2 channel RCA cable
a 16 foot 4 Channel RCA cable

The sub woofer install is pretty much the same as Cam2Ski, his thread goes more into detail than what ill go into here, but i will say he is much more skilled at wood work than i am
I will talk about the amp and how that was mounted, the amp i chose was the perfect dimensions to mount to the back of the board and clear the tabs without any cutting or modification of the metal tabs, all the wires fit though the hole that is hidden by the vinyl that sits next to the rear seats, all the wires fit just perfectly though the whole without any modifications and it looks factory once the vinyl goes back on (no awkward bulge) From there everything was routed up the A & b pillars and the power wire through the fire wall, again no cutting or drilling for this part either.

I've seen a lot of discussion on if its possible to fit 6-1/2" speakers in the front door without issues. Short answer= yes but it requires some drilling, i used the brackets that came supplied with the speakers and lined up where i thought the speaker should sit once i measured multiple multiple times i used 2 factory holes and drilled 2 new ones for "studs" to hold the bracket in place, once i got the spacing of the studs right so that the speaker would clear the window and not be sticking out either, i mounted the speaker to the bracket with the supplied screws the speaker doesn't interfere with the window or the crank if anyone wants to replicate this for themselves let me know i could take some more photos and go more in depth

the rear speakers were a little more tricky, with some scrap birch wood i had left over i made 2 brackets for the rear doors, no drilling was required i used pre-exsistng holes to mount the bracket and took one plastic clip out to create another hole for the bracket so that it will be sturdy and hold the speaker, the rear was relatively the same as the front from this point on except instead of using the supplied bracket i used a spacer so that the rear window and door hinge would clear without any interference ( and for those wondering the seat is still able to be folded down with no interference.

the carplay unit was the worst most time consuming part of the entire build as the entire dash has to be removed in order to remove the old radio and install the new one, once the dash was out however the install was pretty easy i just used the pre existing brackets but flipped them to allow the new head unit to fit (it is slightly wider) i then wired everything up and reinstalled it (again if anyone wants more infor lmk i have more pictures and can go more in depth.

the big 3 wire upgrade and alternator were fairly simple to install and that's pretty much it

also not sure why the images are upside down or sideways

amp.jpg

front speaker.jpg

rear speaker.jpg

sub woofer.jpg

wires.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom