60 and 62: what to look for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Hi Folks,
have done a lot of reading on the 80 and 100 series, but none yet on the 60/62. Was basically planning on getting an 80 or 100, but then the thought keeps nagging at me that if I find a great deal on a 60 or 62 maybe I should not pass...
Anything special to watch out for in the 60/62 besides the obvious body and interior conditions? for example, indispensable options, particular years, special service done, telltale signs of problems etc?

Any one-liners of why I should get a 60/62 over an 80/100 ? (would be an extra vehicle just for fun, but may need to drive it on roads more than true offroading - don't expect Rubicon type stuff either...)

any good source of info on the 60s?

thanks much
Eric

http://www.slowspeed.com

IMO, the 62 is nice since you get the fuel injection, but you also get jammed with the auto. Either way, the ride and room isn't the same as an 80 series, and with the prices the 80's seem to be at, they are hard to pass up on.

For a more "casual" wheeler, I'd do the 80. If you want something a bit more hardcore, and something you may care less about asthetically, then do the 60-62.

IMO there is more cargo room in a 60/62 than an 80.

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=6089;start=msg48775#msg48775 date=1065642568]

For a more "casual" wheeler, I'd do the 80. If you want something a bit more hardcore, and something you may care less about asthetically, then do the 60-62.
[/quote]

I dunno Woody, I've seen some pretty outrageous stuff done by close to stock locked 80's and some VERY outrageous stuff done by trail-modified rigs ala Christo and company.

D-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=1;threadid=6089;start=msg48803#msg48803 date=1065647575]
I dunno Woody, I've seen some pretty outrageous stuff done by close to stock locked 80's and some VERY outrageous stuff done by trail-modified rigs ala Christo and company.

D-
[/quote]
C-Dan, I don't think anyone is knocking the 80's overall abilities, but I think hes saying that if you're just doing light trail running on the weekends and driving to work everyday, an 80 is the ticket. Reliable luxury with a solid front axle is how I look at it. But if you are going to start attempting hairy ass shiznit not too far down the road, its cheaper to spring over and weld up a 60 for serious stuff than it is to outfit an 80 which you probably aren't going to be interested in bashing unless you're Junk.

I bet it's cheaper to lift an 80 than to do an SOA on a 60/62...... ;)

stuff a set of 38.5 tires under either rig, and the SOA looks real nice compared to the expense of new control arms and such for a properly lifted 80-series. Trail performance will be comparable, street performance definitely nods the 80, initial purchase price nods the 60/62.

Additionally, the armor process for the 60 will be cheaper.

IMO,of course... ;)

with the 80 you can get factory lockers on 93 and up, if i get another one ever would definetaly look for one with those, putting arb's in a 60 will run about $1400 just for parts, front and back.
also can get a full floating rear axle as stock option on the 80, dont think the 60 or 62 came with this in the u.s.

as far as the initial price being better for 60's, generally is true, however if your looking for a daily driver, the price of the 60's is going to go up the better shape theyre in. Someone on the 80's list picked up a 93 with lockers for 7,000 grand recently.

if you can get a 60 cheap you like, go for it, but id advise you drive an 80 first as well to see the difference. I have one of each and like them both, just they have different characteristics.

I had a 62 for 3 years, and I loved it. It wasn't fast by any means, which an 80 is when compared to a stock 62. You do get stuck with an auto, if that is an issue compared to the 60s, but you get power locks and windows, which is nice.

The 60/62s definately have alotta character to em, but if I was looking at something to drive everyday with, I would probably go with the 80... that's if the price is difference is not an issue. Good friend of mine had an 80....nice ride and braked and excellerated much better than my 62.

Good luck!
Yo Han

I have a 60, loud, handles like an old truck (go figure), ride is rough, guzzles gas. That being said it's alot of fun, and I do use mine as a daily driver. I think the stock cargo capacity is 900 pounds or so. If you're tall, the front seats don't go back that far, so you may be kinda cramped, I'm about 6 feet tall and it took some getting used to (fine now). A luxury vehicle it is not, but it has character. It's the only vehicle I've ever had someone offer to buy off me while I was driving down the road.

thanks, yall, 80 it might be then...
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom