5spd on a 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey has anyone ever done this. I was thinking about it. How fast commuting on the freeway can you go . I have a 77 2f and 4spd tranny right now. 31x11.5 mud terrain, 1" shackle lift ( redneck style)

I have one in my '78 and have no problem cruising at 80. I have 33x12.5's and stock gearing right now.

okie said:
Hey has anyone ever done this. I was thinking about it. How fast commuting on the freeway can you go . I have a 77 2f and 4spd tranny right now. 31x11.5 mud terrain, 1" shackle lift ( redneck style)

Plenty of dem der listers have. A touch better high end with the H55F-bit lower 1st-so much so starting in 2nd is doable from most stops. you'll probably increase highway speed by 5-10 mph at the relative rpms. Now hold that gear uphill bugger! :cheers:

I believe a split t-case will bolt right up to an H55. The NV4500 is an other option, used in 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge and GM trucks of roughly 80's and 90's vintage. Advanced Adapters makes the needed adapters for this application. Something to keep in mind with the V4500 is rear drive shaft legnth, it typically gets pretty short.

casey said:
I have one in my '78 and have no problem cruising at 80. I have 33x12.5's and stock gearing right now.

Casey,

Are you talking H55 and split case?

If so, I am interested.

How close did you come to the crossmember?

How far back did the shifter move?

What did you do for split-case shift mechanism?

Did you re-use your 4 spd shifter?

How much did you have to shorten your drive shaft?

How did you match driveshafts to the split-case flanges?

What did you do for parking brake?

Pics?

I can post pics if you do not have a star...

TIA,

PabloCruise said:
How close did you come to the crossmember?

How far back did the shifter move?

What did you do for split-case shift mechanism?

Did you re-use your 4 spd shifter?

How much did you have to shorten your drive shaft?

How did you match driveshafts to the split-case flanges?

What did you do for parking brake?

Pics?

I can post pics if you do not have a star...

when i did mine, the buisness didnt change all that much. there isnt a crossmember behind mine ('72) not sure if that changed for a '78.

shifter moved back a couple of inches. i had a ~7x15" hole cut in my tranny hump and then built a box to fit on top. looks fine as it is. gives space for the tranny, which is taller. shifter location fits comfortably in front of bench seats. uses 5 speed shifter.

split case used. shifter was bent up and some trimming was done on the tranny hump. i think if you took more time with the set up, you could make a prettier tranny hump than mine, but if you cover it with carpet as i have, you wouldnt know the difference.

rear drive shaft is now about 15" long. it is VERY short, IMHO. but, it works, and i havent had any issues. front DS is correspondingly longer.

park brake was done by putting in a park brake output shaft on the split case. it was about $4-500 in parts, i would have done rear disk brakes with a park brake caliper instead. probably a bit cheaper, but would have given me rear disks too. oh well, would do it different if i did it again.

rear drive shaft uses an FJ60 yoke and u-joint on the t-case side. everything else is original '40 series. drilled out the output flange on the front to handle the offset. not a problem.

would post up pics, but i dont have a digi-cam. if i can get a pal to do it for me, i will post a few up.

IMHO, the 5 speed was the BEST swap i could have EVER done. expensive, but worth it. better than a well-built late model 2F, better than front disk brakes.... of course i still run manual steering on 31x10.50s, but i get 17 mpg and can cruise at 80 mph @ 3000 rpm with no issue. and the deeper 1st gear makes wheeling almost TOO easy!

you can still get a BRAND NEW H55F from the dealer, which is the way i would go if i was going to do it again. MAF spent too much time getting one, and i had to put in a couple of new synchros and gears when i got it. the box and the rebuild cost me as much as buying a new tranny from toyota.

i recommend a 5 speed to EVERYONE i talk with.

e

yeah i am looking at a H55F. That sounds like the only way. I have a delima though. Do you have to change the driveshaft and everything with custom to put this in because then it wouldnt be worth it. I have the stock seats ( bench) and I hope its not going to get in the way.grrr. this cruiser thing is starting to piss me off but i know(think) it will pay off by being a nice dd in the end.

Driveshaft lenghts will need to change.....longer front, shorter rear.

I think i was wrong. I think the tranny i want in there in an H55. Right? H55F is for fj60s i think. Anyway what abou this split t-case im hearing about? Do i really have to ad one or convert the old one or what?

I guess instead of going stock im going SUPERSTOCK. It will LOOK stock.

okie...

hit the FAQ...

this is ALL in there...

you will need a split case, unless you hold your breath long enough, and then Marlin may come out with a toybox, to go between the five speed, and then you could install your tcase.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom