55 axles to a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a line on some 55 series axles with disc brakes (on the front anyway). I imagine that they should swap easily over to my 74 40. Might be an inexpensive way for me to get discs. Are there any problems that I might run into doing this swap? It seems to me that it would be the same as swaping in a later 40 series axle. Should I swap in the rear axle at the same time? Are they any wider? Thanks.

FJ55 add FJ40 axles interchange exactly....bolt on, no difference. Only thing is to be sure the gears are the same (4.1 or 3.7)

ONLY difference between the two is some/all FJ55's had sway bars on them, so some extra brackets to trim off or ignore...

The other option that I have been planning on until i heard about these axles is going with a mini knuckle, 60 series rotors, and ifs calipers. It would be more complex, but the rotors are bigger, slotted, and cross-drilled, at least they are available like that. Also, if i go with the mini knuckles i can easily do a hi steer set up down the road, i don't know if anyone makes it for a cruiser knuckle. Which setup do you think would be better in the long run, not necessarily easier. Also, no matter which I go with I imagine that I will have to get a proportioning valve. Are these readily available, and where, a part number would be great. Thanks again.

what year 55 doner? 79+ outta be the same as minitruck knuckle pattern, so it won't matter

otherwise hold out for the miniswap....I'm doing it on mine one of these days, just got the doner axle Sunday.

I think that i will stick with the mini as well. I already have the axle (free), just need to round up the rotors and calipers. I am not sure what year the 55 is, i am thinking it is earlier than 79. Too bad the body is destroyed. Thanks again Woody.

Oh, and I wouldn't bother with cross-drilled/slotted rotors....waste of money IMO. If you were running rally races and topping 100mph constantly, then the added cooling is nice. Top speed downhill with a tailwind in warm weather is what, 80 mph? Spend the $$ on stainless braided lines instead....

Trust me, if you are travelling fast enough to get benefits from slotted rotors on the trail, you have other worries.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom