54mm Socket and Spring Tention Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tarbe said:
I think that is irresponsible.

Don't care what you think.

As several have mentioned, there is some leeway - look at the axle. Factor in all the other variables etc. It is more important to work it back and forth and get close to the 'correct' amount than it is anything else. :idea: If you need a fish scale for that then I would suggest you pay someone to do it for you.

Junk said:
If you need a fish scale for that then I would suggest you pay someone to do it for you.

:eek:

Um, guess I'll toss out my SST spring tension gauge that I bought 26 years ago then.

Gotta farm out all my future wheel bearing work I guess........ :doh:

I didn't use the scale on my first one...I don't think I was being irresponsible.

TX_TLC said:
I didn't use the scale on my first one...I don't think I was being irresponsible.

Go re-read the thread. It has nothing to do with a person deciding for themselves whether or not they will use the recommended tools. We are each responsible for our own choices.

It is all about someone telling an inexperienced person they can do the job without the recommended tools.

I have done 23 of these since 1994 and have always used a gauge. And yes, I can do it by "feel" too. But my ego doesn't need to be fed by setting preload by "feel."

My advice to novices is use a gauge. Then if you graduate to where you trust your "feel" then go without it if you choose. But its not very hard for me to walk over to my cabinet and pull mine out whenever preload is in need of measurement.

As the original poster and a novice with no prior experience I know I need the scale (so I ignored Junk - I wonder how those guys he tells me to take my truck to learnt it without a scale?) My manual has not arrived yet so I'm perplexed just how you fit the hook of a spring scale to a nut! Maybe its not for the nut. I can't wait until Dan's package with the FSM arrives which should be today.

You hook the scale to the stud. If your scale has a very small hook, you can rig up some wire or a washer to make the connection.

Thanks guys. I got the 2 1/8th inch from Sears and a fish scale 0-50lb from Big5, and today the manual and bits came. I am still agog at the size of the manual and just one year specifc too! If anyone here has not got or seen a FSM then they need too - it's amazing!

Thanks to Dan for his help. I now know why he is hero here.

Last edited:
MH_Stevens said:
Thanks guys. I got the 2 1/8th inch from Sears and a fish scale 0-50lb from Big5, and today the manual and bits came. I am still agog at the size of the manual and just one year specifc too! If anyone here has not got or seen a FSM then they need too - it's amazing!

Thanks to Dan for his help. I now why he is hero here.

Glad to see you're on the right track. The FSM with exploded diagrams really helps put it all together.

:beer:
Rookie2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom